98+ mounty front end on explorer?

GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
So I really like the mountaineer front end of the later models, and I've been reading up on it, just to be clear, all I have to do is get a header panel from a mounts and the grille and headlights, and that's all there is to it?

Also has anybody dont this, is there a thread, I've got a 95 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Yes header panel, lights, grill and flasher relay or some mod for the signal lights (go from 2 to 1 signal bulb)

Yes header panel, lights, grill and flasher relay or some mod for the signal lights (go from 2 to 1 signal bulb)
Do you know of anybody that has done this?

Yes a few have. I know someone on here did it to a 99. I'll try to search for it, it's buried in the threads somewhere.

Sweet, so my existing fenders are compatible with the mounty headlights/blinker?

Do the easy route and swap to a Mountaineer grille...

full.jpg

I think the OP wants the "later model" Mountaineer front

They do. I was just pointing out that swapping the grill is the easiest option before swapping out the header panel, headlights, corner lights, and other things...

At one point, I kinda wanted to do the 98+ Mountaineer swap, but finding decent exterior donor parts in the junkyard was rare.

View attachment 150636[/QUOTE]
They do. I was just pointing out that swapping the grill is the easiest option before swapping out the header panel, headlights, corner lights, and other things...

At one point, I kinda wanted to do the swap, but finding decent exterior donor parts in the junkyard was rare.
Is it a easy swap

Fairly straight forward. The minor wiring will be the worst, and it's minor.

BTW, you might hunt the rare painted Mountaineer grille, which was a 2000/2001 option, in two colors. The medium blue is a great color, the puke green(I call it) I had on my 99 until I made it dark green.

2000Grille.JPG

Fairly straight forward. The minor wiring will be the worst, and it's minor.

BTW, you might hunt the rare painted Mountaineer grille, which was a 2000/2001 option, in two colors. The medium blue is a great color, the puke green(I call it) I had on my 99 until I made it dark green.

View attachment 150641
Are they that rare? I'd have to hunt at the pull yard, there are always way too many Explorer there and maybe a few Mounties that I've seen

Is it a easy swap

If you are asking if this below is an easy swap, yes. If I remember correctly, you just have to remove the corner lights to access one/some of the grill mounting screws/tabs.

I currently have a Limited grille, but I am still thinking about swapping back to the Mountaineer one, and either blackening out the whole deal like willis146, in the link below, or just blackening the vertical bars...

willis 's 2000 XLS

full.jpg

Back