'98 XLT clunking during when braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'98 XLT clunking during when braking

HippuJiima

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT, 4.0L SOHC V6
Hi I've got a '98 that has a weird issue where, when I apply the brakes lightly (either turning and going straight) about 2-3 seconds in I get this singular thunk or clunking noise which sounds like it's coming from the front end. I can roll my window down and hear it and its usually when I'm braking under 25-30mph.

It's not a repeating clunk, it's a singular one that happens nearly every time. You can even feel the SUV kinda do a single big shake or maybe "flinch" when it happens. Braking is otherwise fine, turning is fine, overall ride quality seems to be fine.

Neither my brother-in-law nor my ex-Ford mechanic dad can figure out what the problem is. I've looked all over the web as well as this site and nobody seems to have this particular issue.

I hope someone can help me, as I'd like to get this beautiful machine fixed up for when I reluctantly sell it as I cannot afford to repair the timing chains on its SOHC motor (it still runs fine it just will need the replacement somewhat soon). I have two Explorers including this one, but my other one has never experienced this before. I appreciate all the help

I'd check the brake system first, slider pins clean and lubed, pad slide rails clean, caliper bolts tight, and look at the suspension bushings and ball joints.

Otherwise, check every bolt, everywhere. Heh, not too long ago, I had my fog lamp bracket rust through and I'd hear a little clunk slowing down because it was hanging by the wire and hitting the bumper or whatever in front of it.

Double check the caliper bracket bolts on the inside surface of steering knuckles. If loose use some loctite on them.

Double check the caliper bracket bolts on the inside surface of steering knuckles. If loose use some loctite on them.
Alright I'll take a look at it, thanks

Back