Solved - 99 Explorer shocks for daily driving | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 99 Explorer shocks for daily driving

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I can't speak to Gabriel's, as I have no experience with them. I can only speak of what I have knowledge of and experience with. Another brand you don't here about much anymore is Koni.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve heard good things about all of them.

I just daily drive, and I run whatever the OE replacement Monroes on RockAuto are. Acceptable ride, and they last. I had them in my ‘98 for 100k. No issues, but figured they were weak and in need of replacement due to mileage…that I had gotten used to them as they ‘wore out’.

Installed a new set and the ride felt exactly the same lol. Still on those.
Did you run the blue yellow or black shocks?

Black

Those are the Oe spectrum I believe I'm really keeping an eye on the gas a just from kyb right now but I'm on a super tight budget

Ok so I have decided to go with the Monroe load adjust because of the rear sag and a possibility I'll be towing a trailer in the near future my question is what shocks I should run up front with the load adjust?

Ok so I have decided to go with the Monroe load adjust because of the rear sag and a possibility I'll be towing a trailer in the near future my question is what shocks I should run up front with the load adjust?
if ya dont mind me asking, what trailer :p detailing trailer? :D if you plan to tow, then i like the kyb monomax. the gas ajusts are also good for towing, how often you plan to? if you tow once in a while then the gas just, but if its more frequent then the monomax. the monos are a bit stiffer than the gas, so thats somethin to factor in. all depends on prefrence, most of this is all subjective to opinion;) when the X was a tow rig/DD it had monomax front air shock rear. thenwhen towing was less frequent, it had the gas ajusts out front. bilstiens are also a good option but $$$. another option is air shocks in the fornt like blown used, but thats only if you want height ajustent up front, but for your application it probbaly would be more effort etc, and anyways conventional shocks ride a tad better imo. sorry this got all wordy.!

have you looked into air shocks also for your rear? i had those and would pump it up and down as needed, pump up alot for hauling/towing, let it down for DD to retain ride height. imo (and this is all subjective) the load adjusts can be a little harsh unloaded, but then again when i test drove one it had <1/4 tank too so it weighed little in the rear, kind of felt like driving light rwd pickup

Ill never tow with my 99 after a rebuild
I learned that lesson

if ya dont mind me asking, what trailer :p detailing trailer? :D if you plan to tow, then i like the kyb monomax. the gas ajusts are also good for towing, how often you plan to? if you tow once in a while then the gas just, but if its more frequent then the monomax. the monos are a bit stiffer than the gas, so thats somethin to factor in. all depends on prefrence, most of this is all subjective to opinion;) when the X was a tow rig/DD it had monomax front air shock rear. thenwhen towing was less frequent, it had the gas ajusts out front. bilstiens are also a good option but $$$. another option is air shocks in the fornt like blown used, but thats only if you want height ajustent up front, but for your application it probbaly would be more effort etc, and anyways conventional shocks ride a tad better imo. sorry this got all wordy.!

have you looked into air shocks also for your rear? i had those and would pump it up and down as needed, pump up alot for hauling/towing, let it down for DD to retain ride height. imo (and this is all subjective) the load adjusts can be a little harsh unloaded, but then again when i test drove one it had <1/4 tank too so it weighed little in the rear, kind of felt like driving light rwd pickup
Yes, a detailing trailer with a generator inverter setup and 2 pressure washers I'm guessing right around 1500lbs fully loaded mainly I'm looking at load adjust because with a full tank I got the Carolina squat on one side and gangster lean on the other also I tend to carry stuff in the rear sometimes and want a decent shock that will hold up I'm used to driving a 2000 Silverado so I know exactly what you mean about the truck feeling anyway what would you run up front with the load adjust?

Why not? is it because of the chains?
probably the trans. i notice X's on CL that have had tow duty suffer trans issues earlier on. that bein said, sorry donalds but i disagree. i tow a 3.5k boat with the X, and at 350k im still on the original trans no VB work, just fluid+filter. i know mine aitn average and for some reason i lucked out on this one, but i think with afew upgrades the 5r can easily drag a 1500 trailer around. for me my X sees heavy cargo weights and the boat, and i havent noticed any ill effects. that being said, compared to stuff like the 4r70w the 5r is fragile

edit: forgot but i do have a big trans cooler on mine, maybe that helps

second edit: imo the 5r can tow something at 1500, that aint much weight imo, just install big trans cooler, shift kit if you want to, and take it easy on the vehicle (which means no burnout ;) )

Yes, a detailing trailer with a generator inverter setup and 2 pressure washers I'm guessing right around 1500lbs fully loaded mainly I'm looking at load adjust because with a full tank I got the Carolina squat on one side and gangster lean on the other also I tend to carry stuff in the rear sometimes and want a decent shock that will hold up I'm used to driving a 2000 Silverado so I know exactly what you mean about the truck feeling anyway what would you run up front with the load adjust?
oh yeah, thats cool :cool: cant wait to see pics of it. for the carolina squat imo do the load ajusts, and if you need more then some shackles. for the explorer lean, then try a reverse torsion lift to even the two sides out. see gjarretts thread answering questions about herc.

for me i would run the monomax up front for that duty, depending on how frequently you tow. gas adjust for nicer onroad/no tow, and mono for tow more. both hold up well imo

edit: also the f150 leaf mod may be something to ook into ad well

350k original trans w/ towing…your vehicle is an extreme outlier. The overwhelming majority of original 5Rs won’t make it past 150k without towing before requiring a rebuild.

Mine started going to **** at 125k, rebuilt at 140k. I think I towed a UHaul trailer once.

A V8 with the 4R70W and gears is a much better choice if you’re using this is a daily work truck w/ trailer. Otherwise, install a LARGE cooler and budget for the inevitable rebuilds.

As for rear suspension, I highly recommending upgrading the leafs. The coil overs and adjustable shocks are neat, but they should not be used to band aid a set of blown out or overloaded leaf springs.

y
350k original trans w/ towing…your vehicle is an extreme outlier. The overwhelming majority of original 5Rs won’t make it past 150k without towing before requiring a rebuild.

Mine started going to **** at 125k, rebuilt at 140k. I think I towed a UHaul trailer once.

A V8 with the 4R70W and gears is a much better choice if you’re using this is a daily work truck w/ trailer. Otherwise, install a LARGE cooler and budget for the inevitable rebuilds.

As for rear suspension, I highly recommending upgrading the leafs. The coil overs and adjustable shocks are neat, but they should not be used to band aid a set of blown out or overloaded leaf springs.
yeah i know mine aint usual, wasnt built on a monday or friday. i agree that the v8 is a much better starting playform for a tow rig. agree also on updated leaves. im pretty sure mine is close to 350 now. the real odo reading is 121 and some, but half the time in more recent times the odo stops working when its hot (lots here in LA)

, sorry donalds but i disagree. i tow a 3.5k boat with the X, and at 350k im still on the original trans no VB work, just fluid+filter
You are lucky
I have read too many horror stories about this transmission to tell with it probably could my transmission is solid and completely updated but I'm still scared tow with it
However I do pull a little trailer to a dump that is for garbage

Ok i went with the Monroe Matic Plus due to needing shocks on a budget and it rides amazing now thanks everyone for your help

I have NOS Reflex in the front and the monroe load levelers in the back. Many years on them...
Took away much of the body roll in exchange for a somewhat stiffer ride.

It's interesting that whenever these threads on shocks of choice come up, everyone automatically migrates to KYB or Monroes...if, they aren't talking Bilsteins or Ranchos. Anyone ever hear of Gabriel? When it was time to replace mine (driven solely on well maintained paved roads mostly in suburbia), I researched those brands and then decided to think outside the box. I was familiar with Gabriels from use on some of my cars many years ago...but, they don't seem to actively market them, so they aren't on anyone's radar. From the reviews I read, the Max Controls were touted to be a nice compromise between too harsh and too soft. Have had them on my Explorer for 7 yrs/35K miles and they have not disappointed.
Hey guys so I'm looking at getting shocks since all of mine are original, I've been looking at the Monro Matic plus and was wondering if they are any good? the part numbers are 32253 32346

I have just put a set of Gabriel Ultra LT truck shocks on my 1997 Explorer 4-door 2wd. The result is they are a very well built and designed unit and have a limited lifetime warranty. The ride initially was slightly stiff but have loosened just enough to make a very comfortable ride in my opinion. The pricing is competitive with the other brands. I've also put these on a '92 Bronco with good service from them as well. part # G63678 in the front and out back is G63679.

Ultra shocks are equipped with G-Force technology featuring:

-Infinitely Variable Damping for on-demand control on all road conditions
-StableSteer Valving improving tire contact with the road for control, safety and performance
-G-Force Piston (1 3/8” bore) with bonded iron construction for long life and durability
-OE designed single lip oil seal minimizes friction for optimal sealing
-Orifice Control Disk for consistent control for comfort and stability
-Larger oil reservoirs for better heat dissipation and better performance
-Super-finished chromed piston rod provides superior corrsion resistance
for longer life. (credit gabriel)

Back