99 Ford Explorer thermostat housing! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Ford Explorer thermostat housing!

bm3596

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hello Ive got an 99 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition. I found this great form unfortunately because Ive been have issues with the thermostat housing for about a month now. Long story short temp gauge pegged found out it was the temp. switch and attempted to change it to only find out about the wonderful housing that ford installed was defective like many of the 4.0 SOHC engines they built. The temp switch wouldnt unscrew, got a new thermostat housing from dorman because ford was gunna charge me $300 for one of theirs and dormans was have the price. Installed and found out it also leaked due to poor manufacturing now im going to attempt to buy another thermostat housing from a seller that says his is Fords upgrade and hope it works. Meanwhile my heater/ac is not working and havent figured out why. so thats where im at and this forum has definitely helped me but It seems I bit off more than I could chew with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

What is the other sensor on the back of the housing? I bought a new ect sensor, but my local parts dealers/myself don't know what the other sensor is. Of the two sensors it's the one on the right with the smaller threads to the housing.

Its a temp. switch heres the kicker though if you try to take that out 99.9% positive your going to not be able to because the whole housing is defective. Ford made the housing with cheap screw in brass fittings and over time it will sieze up on the inside of the housing. Therefore having to replace the whole housing once you try to take it out. Is your temp. gauge on the inside not working or what? I have a lot of knowledge with this particular part/problem so if its that let me know and I can save you alot of time and hassle.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1999-Ford-Explorer-2WD/Temperature-Switch/_/N-jdcmrZ91shz?filterByKeyWord=temp+switch&fromString=search

A few month ago I replaced the housing on my '00 4.0 XLT. My housing had the fittings with the O rings and I got the Dorman replacement with the screw in fittings, both sensors, the throttle body spacer and the spacer to intake O ring. I was able to replace the assembly without removing the upper intake but it was a pain.

I'm really surprised you had a problem with the Dorman part as I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Man maybe I was just one of the unlucky few, but about a month and a half in I found a guy on the net that was selling the Motocraft upgrade with the snap in sensors for $170. I got it and it was legite so I was pretty pissed after all the trouble I went through with the dorman. lol but hey what can you do. That temp. switch should be the answer to your problem though.

I already bought a new assembly and the one temp gauge. I can't find any parts store that carries the temp sensor with the smaller threads. There are two different sized thread sensors. probably so you don't get them mixed up. i have the larger one already just need the smaller one, but can't find one. Is it a ford part only?

I already bought a new assembly and the one temp gauge. I can't find any parts store that carries the temp sensor with the smaller threads. There are two different sized thread sensors. probably so you don't get them mixed up. i have the larger one already just need the smaller one, but can't find one. Is it a ford part only?

Is this what it looks like? If so I'll ask my bro-in-law where he got mine. He works for CarMax and he hooked me up.

EDIT

I found this one on the Advance Auto web site.

Thats it man! What the heck? AC delco? I thought they only made chevy parts. We have a advanced auto close by. I'll have to give them a yell. Thanks! I appreciate the help!

they have one in stock. I'm on my way to get it. Heck i might even have time this afternoon to put this back together and get it out of the garage. You are the man! Thank you!

Back