City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
As purchased with 135k miles.
1.jpg

Getting ready for SoA conversion.
20121207131558.jpg

SoA conversion done and rusty nerf bars removed.
20121210093015.jpg

TT and new 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs
20130301134906_zps1cb913d5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mods: accusump pre oiler to prevent timing chain guide destruction, airbox modified for increased air flow, spring over axle and drive shaft spacer, rear aussie locker

Upgrades: Bilstein shocks, Amsoil synthetic air filter, Goodyear Duratrac tires

Mainenance: Intake gaskets, PCV valve, timing chain tensioners, spark plugs and wires, upper/lower ball joints, upper control arms, inner/outer tie rods, wheel bearings, Amsoil ATF and motor oil

Future: Front coilover conversion (brackets already purchased, waiting on funds for shocks, springs and limiting straps), front limited slip/locker

Let me know what you think and any other suggested mods.

ow much bigger do you plan to go?

No plans to go bigger currently. The offroading I do is mostly with trackers and samurais so I'm already one of the bigger trucks.

very nice! Perfect height for the sport in my opinion, and I love the SOA - cant see ugly shackles hanging down.

So you just kept cranking the T bars till you matched the rear? They looked cranked over 2 inches? which from my reading is the recommend height before you really start doing damage to the CV joints.

If you are over 2 inches, experience any premature wear? or binding? and out of curiosity, did you replace the Tbar bolts with longer ones?

I haven't updated in a long time so here it goes. I hated how it rode so rough on gravel and offroad so I decided to SAS it. Full width Dana 44 HP and Ford 9in. Been wheeling it this way for over a year with no issues. I just purchased a 99 Explorer limited 5.0 for my next SAS project. It's going to be a daily/occasional trail rig.

R0jDrdmQ3UifUZj21QtaTx-45LwY3zFqxyq4=w1417-h796-no.jpg

nGxHY_4BQ4ZY-UuKxTqJ22kS9GIFVkle1SBj=w1417-h796-no.jpg

rVTtM_FKop4qIADt3yQRv9Kucj0kp-pxAAKE=w1417-h796-no.jpg

Nice! A sasd sport would be nice in the bush!

Can you add some pics of the steering box setup and the steering shaft? I saw you posted elsewhere that you used a Toyota box, and my plan has been to use a Ford box but I know space is tight inside the frame with my 5.0. Thanks, your Explorer looks great!

Here's the only pictures I have of the steering. I like the box on the outside of the frame for the longer/less angle steering linkage. I used a combination of the stock steering shaft and a shaft out of an early 90s ranger. From the looks of the 99 5.0 I just purchased there is more room but I still don't think a ford box will fit.

I ended up using a straighter pitman arm as seen in the next picture
i7CLPV_WaaiCMv7AiThLhoTIHUwmCStEW47P-DGueZV7HTJN-xOv4-wj0RaHgNTN7LSCAsSqrr3NxD-_ZBLJpKGcCejXe3i4JoEZb8Lsj_KrRciKf7CFxdpPXWrF_FvncGPO4SkhUxh4dRzzm6KZZt3_4d8uzL-XdGoTP8SOmJqJ-dTRnIesvENsqBNbSctlOBAcdKehbYJtNpL-ivY5wj5aGCz6EKwZIfeLpG1DHQTf1SHyAcz8IjjUrOW978_hQGUesSOJnZ4TY9jeZ8fwLiwxQwNct7iq7pMNBC9621oZNcyLmPpoBNKtxw3yPCDy_oppnwGx-HTqKjYbtuyyC79AbcJxNhOeu9V2hOPMohfDLtd2iLQg8NadxKm1xy8Lkkietv3BtOtbdZc3Ttuj98jDNi9nwi7Rz9rsOBiLUjpinfkVjcJLg5320uS4WGjdxCnoKqGNiR_dzowgTKjanfFHryQSO9_H93BdiEZFhDfO3N0CrxxCZBGKp2oXvNihDapgCkOTk-HSlDV-n0TVJz3Pkd7I8PnXhXxs0i7h63KU2DRImf7sWb2AZxfJhb7WIjFAfkHjQFGzwGlejBaJHFthekCfXVVipw0EHisMNseNq3z0=w1280-h720-no

66aAhIdiorhM5iYpis3Af49-3_n-YN42H07FXkIp9Kc-D1xpeOpzTo4CkDlDHtzGLN-naitYpqcWdAcBi0D8SBIAGE_a7DDZj1RaxLfTrTGTawjL5Hu7cKJbBHuw91PwrHozDtgBswou8yCDpsjqUq4rgv_vEzYjXes5VLCtyRbYtqn6OB7feM4RdbvKVkRzaDXYn1AYu1jPi-n1QJSiphXYLQpGiFxWfrjYeTVFyTKI_QQmAJuWO4HolklTq6OoZxE4ggLmnX8J8bWDNTkLqF1lz9aUoiPBxSr_isinGrIjFeKWIuvj8zsX8ZOUun4lSqpoPEVUfLmrtxmIDuvOKTkICO4XCh7bWctmOv_v3V1eL7keJ9SsAeOXv-L8rnSWkzXw6LBMaSzuhBUZSXqUzOI9LaJ5wKvq7sgJx7n8nOLf6yyZqn9BgUYQoFoGoWGATFmTvyRgI1DnmDonF6l24x8LVhoVv1P_Q4oxdgoxpuT8p2OHa-W4zFW2PKRiSvUHx5TqbW2TjlQpjAHfhGr002p-xch9dco9WfXN3tLPWTb7UsZFRz2ee8Kc-TdFc0qWPdQUS0dDPfp_Dib9F4FMwzTRmRfy2LQE7a2ZWQJ0yr0RlVt0=w509-h906-no

You can't see it but there is a trac bar hiding behind the drag link
XTHumSGUnIzDc7k8idiqaVApf7kfPgxiGMhb0VwwoSLkBYKc_BdD1hhy5u1vMr5eFF5y4UFVRvLuLnLe2IugECrP9-clcxj-jLgPMjvLzpE38vwBqoaD3hk_MqeiwWctB0hMdqOB7yw73E9-r2fq7VjwrcNuRDLD_SxkFRehAQek3giBTsV8Wl2aWLRysibZp228Z4jAG1G3Sc6eJ4uWI0qur0taKbXPKCK5ij6cdp2CDZWWsiIJrHFz-E_SLvj-Y7H-uxGrytgCUFgYqtBCe5a8sJ9rQLpM5Ua1wEjt16PU6I2iSYJzW4z54QvpO_I10XkRk3_IKU0RGjX7ul8j4Fwz0SelBZoBLON-FTYFcpTptKktWd9l-D5Rq2n7AFsPlnpDEgF0XWsaAw4gja8hAT2EqH6ZLIF7ks0dlsC2ZeZiLtt7YfsdlJc_XzCHP5Nu6gy7ZLlWbeOGMlVfOcKT-4AX6wr-AnKoxTVFj9dNCRcCbnSGiI0zJD8_dMRA8uIbOS2-elP5Pp1jnDTVuS6AouKtbULitM-GBiIFu0ak7j2CCTdhDuj8nynuuyAhdz5OWObY_v_azjmKss_O_gs7AW78ijRWAO2zTtBMvPxvoc1xDTUf=w1280-h720-no

Hey there,
I know this is an older thread, and your Explorer doesn't look like this anymore.. but I was wondering if this was really just coil overs up front with a Spring over in the rear? It looks like it's sitting pretty much level and I'm super impressed! How did it ride / handle set up like this? (and where the CV angles ok??) I saw this thread and your other one on the rangerforum and I really like how the explorer looks in these pictures with the 265s on it!

Just getting some ideas....

Hey there,
I know this is an older thread, and your Explorer doesn't look like this anymore.. but I was wondering if this was really just coil overs up front with a Spring over in the rear? It looks like it's sitting pretty much level and I'm super impressed! How did it ride / handle set up like this? (and where the CV angles ok??) I saw this thread and your other one on the rangerforum and I really like how the explorer looks in these pictures with the 265s on it!

Just getting some ideas....
no as of that picture it seems he did just a TT up front and soa in the back, so bo coil conversion. with the TT its a but firmer and depending on how fast you hit some bumps it csn top out on you, have it at just under 2" on this one and imo it rides fine and handles fine still feels pretty frm maybe a little less planted than stock but still good imo

no as of that picture it seems he did just a TT up front and soa in the back, so bo coil conversion. with the TT its a but firmer and depending on how fast you hit some bumps it csn top out on you, have it at just under 2" on this one and imo it rides fine and handles fine still feels pretty frm maybe a little less planted than stock but still good imo
Right. Well I was thinking the same thing at first (that its just a tt), my only thing is (from looking at a ton of pictures of other explorers) it seems like the other SOA explorers sit too high in the rear to match the lift in the front without using a superlift or SAS in the front.

(Check out his other thread on the rangerforum, in that one it says it has coilovers in this picture. (That's where I got the picture I quoted is on coilovers). I think the rangerforum thread is more accurate / detailed to his build but I don't have an account there, so I figured I'd ask on the EF 😂)

Right. Well I was thinking the same thing at first (that its just a tt), my only thing is (from looking at a ton of pictures of other explorers) it seems like the other SOA explorers sit too high in the rear to match the lift in the front without using a superlift or SAS in the front.

(Check out his other thread on the rangerforum, in that one it says it has coilovers in this picture. (That's where I got the picture I quoted is on coilovers). I think the rangerforum thread is more accurate / detailed to his build but I don't have an account there, so I figured I'd ask on the EF 😂)

ohhhhhh i see, yeah. on many occasions SOA gives you 4-5" but tt is only 2" max. sometimes people do a sloped BL but that wasnt mentioned here. but true, didnt notice that! one possible explanation is that the sports had monolesf vs multileaf packs on a 4d

Back