99 XTL SOHC 4x4 aka Big Tig (warning lots 16 pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 XTL SOHC 4x4 aka Big Tig (warning lots 16 pics)

99 XTL SOHC 4x4 aka Big Tig (warning 16 pics)

110246_1_full.jpg
110246_2_full.jpg

Some of you may have wondered where I came up "Big Tig". Well the answer is pretty easy, my previous car was a
93 SHO name "Tigger". It got the because of the tiger tattoo on my shoulder(which matches the rear window decal
exactly) and because of the growl the engine produced at WOT.

Dead Link RemovedDead Link Removed
Here is my X the day I brought it home. The first stop before coming home was the Tint shop where I had 5% Black Limo
installed around the rear and 35% up front with a 5% front strip.

The first major mod was the one piece Manik brushguard and a pair of KC Daylighter rated at 385,000 candle power
each. Next was the addition of a pair of rear fog lights. These were wired to come on automatically while in reverse
or with a switch on the dash.

My next project was to install the Low Glow blue/green Radicolor kit which was on my SHO. These pics suck but, you
get the idea.

Since my X came with the Crapstone tires, I decided to upgrade the rims along with the tires. These are polished
15x8 Ultra 152s with 30x9.50x15 BFG Mud Terrains. Even with a 2"TT I had to trim the fender about half an inch to
prevent minor rubbing at full lock.

The first thing to go was the Factory stereo system, which was promptly replaced with a Sony-M600 deck and a pair
of MTX 6000 12s powered by a MTX Thunder 152 amp.

Here is a really bad pic of the Tv which is controled by the deck. This amp is mounted under the rear
passenger's seat, I plan on replacing it soon with another MTX amp to power my mids and highs.

Here are some more pics of my not so finshed X. Lets all face it, once you start you'll never be finished.

Well thats it for now, I would like to thank you for taking the time to wait for all the pics to download. I'm always
open to comments and suggestion. So please give your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pics not working :(

Sorry, I think I've got them all working now.

I would lift it, however I paid $1400 for a 6yr/100,000 service contract. To mount the amp I used 2 pieces of
2" aluminum stock and the seat folds down just fine.

bigtig -

i know you did this once before, but can you post the detailed pics of how you installed your amps?

thanks,
logan

Looking good bro. I have the same amp that you do and at first I loved it. Currently it is only pushing one 10". It is pretty loud though, but I would like to upgrade. I saw that your pics said that your amp was pushing two 12". How does your X sound? Do you think I could add another 10" and still sound OK? I am just real surprsied, but overall your X looks sweet.

98greyxlt - I think I lost those pics, but give me a little while and I'll either take some more or put a a detailed drawing of how I did it.

Rydogg - Thanks, my 12s are 8ohms each, I wired them so that the bridged amp would see a 4ohm load. The size and power of this amp has blown me away. You should be able to add another 10 easily.

I appreciate it. Thanks bud...

reaar fog litee

hey bigtig, how did u wire the rear foglites? i want to doo one but i am afraid of burning up the backup lite when i switch the fog lite on. my scheme is battery---fuse---light----baackuplite-----switch----ground. ids that how u did yours? your help is greatly appreciated/ nice truck u got

Dead Link Removed

Ok, I'm trying to remember how I wired this off the top of my head, so if any body sees and obvious mistake please speak up.

swak6287 - By doing it this way, you may turn the fog lights on by flipping the switch or they will come on automaticaly when you shift into reverse.

nice explorer. clean install too.
i always wondered what bigtig meant....

How exactly did you wire up your reverse lights to come on automatically when you put it in reverse and with a switch. I've been thinking of doing that with mine.

Stephen S - Take a close look at the diagram I posted earlier. The key was the use of a relay. A relay is nothing more than a switch that uses electrical energy to activate. The power for the fog lights comes directly from the battery through a fuse to the relay, which switches the power for the fog lights on and off. The power that tells the relay to switch on and off comes from two places: the first being from the battery through the switch to the relay, the second comes from the power wire of the factory reverse light through a fuse to the relay.

I hope this answers you question, if not please let me know.

ooops

Sorry about that, I looked quickly at that diagram and thought, after the amplifier question, that it was a wiring diagram for your stereo. Guess I should read a little closer next time. The diagram looks great and answers my questions. Thanks.

No sweat, I think we've all done that once or twice.

Big Tig, where did you pick up the relay you used and how much $ do they go for?

I went to my local Pep Boys and bought a set of the 3A Racing Platinum fog lights. The lights came with the relay, relay wiring harness, and various connectors and mounting stuff. I think I paid around $60.

I know you can get the relay at Radio shack:
Dead Link RemovedModel: 275-226 $5.99

When you go to hook up the relay, there are numbers on the bottom next to each terminal.

Here is how it should be connected:
Terminal # 85 -> Power coming from switch &/or Reverse light
Terminal # 86 -> Ground
Terminal # 87 -> To Battery
Terminal # 30 -> To postive wire on fog lights

Thanks a lot David. That helps very much. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stephen S - Enlight of everthing that is going on, I was wondering if you had tried hooking up the reverse lights?

Back