A/C and release bearing?

murkinstock

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
Hello once again fellas.

Alright I always have this rattling sound coming from around the clutch area, (Note: the M/T clutch, not A/C clutch) and no matter the circumstances, (Unless off) it's always there. But, when I turn on my A/C it gets louder, but goes away when I push in the clutch.

Also, if I have the A/C on and I'm stopped for a short while, the transmission gets to where it doesn't want to shift. This only happens with the A/C on though, I've let it idle without the A/C on for an extended period and nothing weird happens. I'm always in neutral while stopped just to be clear.

It's really weird, so I'm just curious about the connection between the two. I know I just need to go in there and replace the bearings and everything else associated with the clutch, plus maybe some A/C work.

Replace the A/C clutch assembly (around $120). This will replace the pulley, the bearing, the clutch hub and the electromagnet. Not a hard job. I replaced the one in our 2000 Mountaineer about 4 years ago. It's been quite ever since. I got mine from Advance auto and paid around $100 with a discount code.

The below link is for AutoZone, but it's basically the same thing as Advance sells.

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...lutch&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false

I just checked for probably the 30th time again, and the sound is indeed my release bearing. The A/C compressor is as quiet as can be.

The only thing I can think is the A/C causes the idle to drop just enough to make it audible, and make the bearing...go weird, for lack of a better term, and causes it to rapidly heat up, and in turn, heating up the slave causing it to not function properly, therefore resulting in hard shifts.

That's all I can come up with that explains this.

Back