• Register Today It's free!

A/C Clutch

donnah

Reaction score
City, State
Marin County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Limited
I have a 97 Ford Explorer. I'm female so forgive the lack of knowledge and lack of proper terminology :D My Explorer started making a bird type chirping noise over the weekend which progressed to a metallic chirp. Car mechanic friend popped the hood and identified the A/C clutch as the problem - the pulley was started to rub against the screw of the compressor. I had to drive vehicle for the past 2 days (quite minimally) while I was waiting for the new A/C clutch. I received the new clutch today and brought vehicle to friend to replace. Ran into a slight problem in removing the clutch assembly (the whole part in front of the compressor)...got the initial plate off and expected to slide rest of assembly away from compressor but alas, no. Found some kind of circular clippy thing which was helatious to take off :eek: (who designs these things?!?!?), but finally got it to pop free. The rest of the assembly still will not come off. My friend said we might need a pulley puller tool. Anybody familiar? Any insight would be greatly appreciated as my beloved truck and trusty companion who carts me to and fro is down for the count until this is remedied.

I know im about a year and a half late but I am in the same situation as you trying to figure out how to get this off.

Back