• Register Today It's free!

a/c compressor clutch rattling

techniq

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 4.6L Limited
I have an '02 Explorer 2WD 4.6L V8 and just recently within the last week when the a/c is turned on and the clutch engages it begins a constant rattling that can be heard over the engine noise. Turn of the engine, clutch disengages and the rattling immediately stops.

Is this clutch, or a sign of the compressor failing soon as well? If just clutch is it a reasonable DIY?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fix it soon

Based on my personal experience with my V8 in my 2005 Explorer, I wouldn't wait to get that checked out or fixed. I heard a "clanging" noise for a couple of days and then a grind (failure).

I would recommend getting it looked over now and don't wait or guess. If that compressor fails, it's about $1,400 at an AC shop and even more at the dealer.

If you get the compressor repaired or replaced before total failure, it's a lot less expensive..........

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. Actually the same day I posted this I also scheduled the service diag for this morning. Didn't run the A/C since then.

Sad new is they are telling me the compressor has released metal shards into the lines and the system will need to be flushed. If additional damage was done to the system from the metal the worst case scenario is $1800 w/labor for replacing most of the system. :-(

bummer

Well I just replaced my entire system for the second time in 2 years, so I feel your pain. If the black death oozed through the whole system, they will basically be replacing everything, except the evaporator and condenser, which they will flush. For $1,800, make sure you are getting a brand new OEM compressor and parts and not a rebuilt or aftermarket compressor.

Good luck!

1 new OEM compressor - roger that!

Back