A few different Problems.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A few different Problems..

G

gensic11

Hey all.. I've tried the search and have come up with a few different answers but I'm lookin for a little more specialized answer.

First question.. When it's about 40 degrees or lower outside my truck has a very hard time idling and sometimes dies. I saw something about O rings being worn out.. The truck will idle real rough and will rev itself to keep from dying but sometimes will idle so low it will actually die. Is this a do it yourself project if you have about 50-100$ plus some extra time to spare? I'm fairly good with do it yourself with a decent set of instructions.

Secondly - A/C. I know it's not a big deal right now because it's winter but my AC doesn't work. There doesn't seem to be any leaks and should have a new compressor. It seems like when i re-fill the freon it fills up fine but won't make it through the lines or something. The AC will never get cold and if i'm sitting idle with the AC on it will click on and off ever 5 seconds and almost make my truck die everytime it clicks.. Any fix for this? If not how much can I expect to pay to get it fixed?

Lastly - Windows. When it's cold outside my front windows BARELY work.. the colder it is the harder it is to get them down (all power windows). They work fine in the summer so I assume my motor is ok? The windows usually work fine on the way up even when it's cold just on the way down it seems like it has no power.

Thanks for any info you can give me. These are the only things wrong with my explorer I wish i could get fixed. Everything else works great. I feel a lot better askin now that i'm elite!!

haha take care all!

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First answer - Try cleaning the IAC if you haven't already and see if your idle improves.

Second answer - a question - Do you get any cold air in MAX A/C? Have you checked the A/C relays and the Hi/Lo pressure switch?

Third answer - Sorry, don't know.

yea - cleaned the iac a few months back.. improved the idle a little but did nothing about the cold start (cold as in outside temp)..

no cold a/c even when on max either....

any ideas how much a/c service usually is? i cant go another summer like last one without some a/c. i love having windows down but some days are way too hot

Sounds like your window tracks need to be greased/lubed.
Its funny that they work fast up but slow down, usually its the other way around.

Now is it all 4 windows or just one?

Also youmight want to give some details about your truck when you post these questions, it is very helpful to know which engine/trans you have, how many miles, and details like I already triead cleaning the IAC, etc.

I agree your low idel problem sounds like either the IAC valve OR low voltage.
Could it be your battery is getting old? A weak batterie can cause the window and idle problems you described, when a weak battery is cold its even weaker.

AC service is usually about $60-100 dependong on where and what they do.
I have had issues with self filling the AC systems myself as well, it seems to take the coolant but then still no AC and the compressor cycles. I took it in for a evac, leak check, ans re-fill all worked fine after that.

Also I have read a few times something about the rear defroster and AC compressor cycling having something to do with one another. I never paid much attention though because I never had that problem. But you might try a search.

In 97 there were 3 engine's available inthe Explorer FYI :) if we are taking about the XLT in your profile :)

thanks for the reply..

i have the 4.0 sohc engine with 75,650miles.. in great shape.. tranny is the 4r44e?? or whatever. Shifts fine (knocks on wood) no tranny probs yet..

windows probably do need re-lubed.. it is weird they go up fast and down slow.. no idea what's up with that..

i feel the cold temp start is the 00m12 problem.. somethin to do with the intake manifold rings going bad.. i guess ill try to get those replaced..

im also glad to hear the a/c service is fairly cheap.. i would gladly pay 100$ to get my a/c working again...

thanks again for the replies.. right now im getting a wheel bearing replaced.. 415$ so i'm not sure how much i'll have to spend on other projects but i guess time will tell.. thanks for all the info! i appreciate it!

gensic11 said:
thanks again for the replies.. right now im getting a wheel bearing replaced.. 415$ so i'm not sure how much i'll have to spend on other projects but i guess time will tell.. thanks for all the info! i appreciate it!

$415? ouch.
I managed to find wheel bearings on ebay for like $150 each or so.
then replaced 'em myself.
Cheapest I could find around town was like $250'ish I think, or maybe it was closer to $300.

dang.. maybe i should get some other estimates.. the weird thing is this dude hooked me up big time the first time i got stuff done with him so i have a hard time believing he would screw me over.. never know though-

gensic11 said:
dang.. maybe i should get some other estimates.. the weird thing is this dude hooked me up big time the first time i got stuff done with him so i have a hard time believing he would screw me over.. never know though-

that may be about right, for parts+labor....
I'm just sayin, find out what he's chargin for parts... see if you can find it cheaper else-where.. and if it's not somethin you can do yourself (don't want to/don't have time/don't have tools/etc), take it to 'em

The A/C system uses a part called the orifice valve or expansion valve which is similar to a small filter going into the accumulator tank. This reduces the pressure from high to low, and also catches small metal shaving in your system. If this gets clogged up, it will restrict your freon flow, and you won't get cold air. Another thing to know is if they vacuumized your A/C system before they put in the freon. If you have air or moisture in your system, it won't get cold either. It will also cause it to cycle even though it has a sufficient amount of freon. Some systems have a split system, meaning that it has rear A/C. This has an electric solenoid valve. It might be a good idea to check this valve too. There is another post in this forum about cleaning out your MAF sensor. This could cause a rough idle condition. A MAP sensor is used on the older models. As for the windows, other people suggested lubricating it, and another person said that it might be a low voltage condition. Your voltage should be about 14-14.7 volts without any load on the system. With every accessory on at the same time, your system should be about 13.5 volts. If you have any lower voltage than this, check your battery cables for corrosion, which causes resistance. If your battery doesn't build up as soon as you shut off all of your accessories, then it could be your alternator, or regulator. The auto parts stores, such as Autozone have a diagnostic machine for checking your charging system that they will do free of charge if you need help identifying this problem.

Back