• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Help

sycan

Reaction score
City, State
Ford Wayne, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
87 XLT
I rebuilt the trans in my 87 XLT. It has an A4ld trans. It has only one electric solenoid on the valve body. If the wires are reversed, will that stop it from shifting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! The TCC solenoid locks the torque converter, and won't cause you to have shifting problems. Did you check the vacuum line going to the modulator to see if it's leaking transmission fluid? Are the bands, and kickdown cable properly adjusted? Do you have the correct fluid level? Was the valve body rebuilt when you rebuilt the transmission? Was the front cooler flushed out before you installed the rebuilt transmission?

Answering your reply

The vacuum line going to the modulator is good and not leaking.
The bands were torked to 10 foot lbs and the backed off two turns.
The fluid level correct.
Yes the valve body was rebuilt, and that didn't fix the problem.
The front cooler, Don't remember flushing it out.
The kickdown cable properly is adjusted.
and changed the modular valve too.
have no 3rd or 4th gear and have to shift manual to go from 1st to 2. if in drive or if using overdrive, have to shift back into 2 to get it to shift up to 2

The valve body could have gotten clogged if the front cooler wasn't flushed since it could trap junk left over from the first transmission. Were the servo pistons replaced when it was rebuilt? Was a 1/4" drive, In/LB torque wrench used on the valve body bolts?

Answering your reply2

The servo pistons were not replaced.
A 3/8" drive, In/LB torque wrench used on the valve body bolts.

Will flush cooler this afternoon and the valve body will be cleaned agin.

I have a diagram of the valve body, but there is no electric solenoid for 3&4 shift. and some of the config. are not the same as the diagram for a 87 ford ranger A4LD.

We rebuilt the trans cause the clutches were bad.

The servos dry out from the heat of the exhaust, and should be replaced. Leaking servos can't engage the overdrive or intermediate bands. By the way, did you install a remanufactured torque converter with the new transmission? This picture of a single solenoid A4LD valve body is from a link in # 69 in my list of useful threads:
A4LD%20Valve%20Body%20Parts%201%20Solenoid.jpg

Back