• Register Today It's free!

a4ld not shifting when cold

dillon1340

Reaction score
City, State
greenville, south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer 4x4
my trans in my 91 explorer doesnt like to shift when it's cold. it has a new valve body with a shift kit with very few miles on it. anything i can do to make it shift well while it's still cold. tonight on way home from work (we are having the coldest weather since i've gotten the explorer) it would not shift out of first then it would shift into second and eventually it worked fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a stuck governor for sure.

Theres a few threads around detailing how to change it.

ATF level is full and never drops, correct?

If so, I agree with governor.

If this is not true (your ATF is dropping), but you don't see fluid on the ground, vac modulator could also cause this as the ATF level drops (gets sucked into engine).

If you have a leak (seals, etc.) and ATF is coming out on the ground, you need to fix the leak.

When the ATF is low, it can cause shifting problems when cold. As it warms up, it expands and if it's not excessively low, the shifting problems go away (until it's cold again)...

Hope this helps.

Mike

how many miles are on the tranny.. do you tow with the explorer, do you bring it off road.... mine did that just b4 the tranny went out and i tried all fixes and when nothing worked i just went ahead and drove it till the tranny dropped and bought a reman'd unit..

how many miles are on the tranny.. do you tow with the explorer, do you bring it off road.... mine did that just b4 the tranny went out and i tried all fixes and when nothing worked i just went ahead and drove it till the tranny dropped and bought a reman'd unit..

this is EXACTLY what happened in my 94.

it does leak some fluid but i top it off and it still does this when it's really cold. i'm just going to drive my mustang until i can get to fixing it. it's too cold for me to be out there under it doing repairs. the leak is coming out of the rubber hoses that go near radiator. where can i purchase a complete governor for it?

i just read on another forum that the governor can be cleaned up with some crocus cloth. is there no rubber seals in it that need to be replaced? how does the governor work?

the governor is a bolt on peice that slides i believe...the bore of it sometimes gets scarred and it wont slide smoothly.

i read the link. i guess i'm just not looking forward to taking this thing apart again. especially in this cold.

You can pull the governor with the tranny still in the truck.

Youll have to pull the drive shaft and the tail shaft housing, but you can get to it without pulling the tranny.

well i just went out and took the governor out and cleaned it up real well with some 1000 grit paper. took me two hours start to finish. initially it still shifted bad, wouldnt shift into second. but then it was fine. i guess i'll know tomorrow morning whether that fixed the problem when it's nice and cold. i didnt pull the extension housing off, just the transfer case. i was surprised how easy it was to take that off.

Sometimes the stalk (shaft where the weight glides) becomes worn down, and causes the weight to stick. Sonnax has a 35MM weight. There is an additional spring that could go into it. I think the spring might be in a Superior shift kit.

Do you remember how big it was or how many grooves it has? You might have to contact them. Please post the information if you do find out which one it is. This is one of the reasons why rebuilders have so many problems rebuilding these things. Every year, and engine combination had a different set of parts that were used.

dillon, hopefully, your governor fix worked. The rubber hoses near the radiatior go to the tranny cooler, located in front of the radiator, just behind the grille. You should replace those when you get a chance, it's a pretty easy fix, and they won't get better on their own...

BTW, don't expect to go into a parts store and ask for replacement hoses, they most likely won't be able to come up with a part number. Just use fuel line of the correct diameter, and be sure to replace the clamps.

Mike

the first to second shift when i get in the cold truck it waits until 3500 rpm to shift. that's better than it was, it wouldnt shift at all before. i think i will take it apart and replace the governor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'm at a loss as to where to buy the governor. i found the site above but it has too many choices for the governor. i don't want to take it apart, measure it, then order the part. anyone know where i can buy a replacement governor?

Back