A4LD observations 2-1-2-3-4 pattern when left in OD and warm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD observations 2-1-2-3-4 pattern when left in OD and warm

Christobal

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT, 03, 2 wheel drive
183K on vehicle 93 2wd. 150K or so on trans. Ford replaced the trans when it wouldn't shift above 2nd after a mild offroad trip in the mid-90s.

Tranmission seems to shift more firmly than it used to and delays shift a bit when it's warming up. When it warm or even more noticably when it's really warm, while the selector is in D or OD it seems to start out in 2nd, shifts back to 1st under normal acceleration, back to 2nd then on to drive and OD. Lockup function seems normal.

When I hold it in 1st it stays there, manually shift it to 2nd it shifts fine all the way up.

Not sure how the trans receives signal from the selector, if it's all mechanical into the trans or if there is some point where it becomes electrical. The fact that ATF temp seems to affect the onset of this 2-1-2-3-4 pattern and it doesn't do it when it's at ambient, leads me to believe it's something internal causing this. I think the fact it stays in 1st if I hold it there is a positive sign and may indicate it's just something related to signaling the trans as opposed some other internal malfunction. So, I'm getting mixed signals/hunches.

What do the trans gurus or others who've experienced this say? Surely someone else has seen this.

Back