Seriously??? Cracked transmission case 2003 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seriously??? Cracked transmission case 2003

shipwreck17

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 limited V8
Well last month my EX wouldn’t shift out of first because of a broken solenoid. I changed both of them and everything was working fine until Sunday night when I went to cold start my EX and I hear a "ting" sound and oil is going everywhere. At first I thought it was an oil filter failure and I was leaking engine oil but upon further inspection I see that the intermediate servo cover is out of the trans and the snap ring is broken. So then I thought the snap ring had failed... Wrong again!

The case cracked... so now I need a new case or a new trans. I’m trying to finish school and its finals week and I can’t afford to pay for a rebuild or replacement so I think I’m stuck rebuilding it myself. During which time I may or may not swap in a junk yard trans for the time being.

Will any of the mustang transmissions work?

Is mine a 5r55w or E I forget?

Where should I start on the rebuild? Buy a case and source and engine stand?? Is an ebay case ok or is there a more reliable place to get one?

I will never buy anything w/ a 5r55 EVER AGIAN and this may be my last ford. My broken case and broken servos both come back to CHEAP MATERIALS....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think you have the E because that was a 2nd gen thing. But as a student, I think you definitely should look into a small, dependable car for now. Stay away from SUVs - it'll save you money in the long run.

You have a 5R55S

I really don't see how you end up with a cracked case under "normal" operating conditions

Ha I dont know why this would happen either. It was a cold start, about 0 degrees and as soon as the engine fired I heard it go. Then glug glug glug as it pumped out about $50 of Mercon V

Ohh is it an S? Are 2wd units different? Will any 5r55s accept the transfer case or are there 2 tail designs?

Hey IZwack, I'd love to sell this thing, Wanna buy an explorer?

Hey IZwack, I'd love to sell this thing, Wanna buy an explorer?
Not one that goes "glug glug glug" . I'd rather have one that goes, "Knock, Knock! Who's there? Cows go. Cows go who? No, cows go moo!"

Well once all the fluid is gone the sound will most likely go away.

Seriously though, is there anything I should be looking for in a case besides worn, oversized, or eggshap bores?

800trans has them for 200. (not new)

Is there a better place to get one?

Stay FAR away from 800700 trans and ALL of their different names. They operate under about 6 different names, and two of the three guys there are ex-cons. Stole my credit card and used it at a transmission shop in Illinois, and sent me a dirty used pump that had been flung around their shop for years instead of a brand new 'high performance all rebuilt super duper special" one I had payed for.

just one of their MANY MANY different Aliases
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/get-it-right-transmissions-and-parts-c134248.html

There is one on Ebay for 125.00 plus shipping. It is covered by Ebay buyer protection also.
If you buy there talk to the people first and be sure the case is 100% usable as is and doesn't need any servo hole repairs, do all correspondence through Ebay, then there is records and save, until you get the case and it is ok.

They also have them here for 153.00 plus shipping----https://www.wittrans.com/Schematic.aspx?Transmission=5R55N/5R55S/5R55W&Schematic=4

Get a case that has the servo bore's already lined with the aftermarket bushings. Save a lot of heartache that way!

Back