"A4LD X's when did your tranny go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"A4LD X's when did your tranny go?

When did your tranny go out?

• 60k-80k

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • 81k-100k

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • 101k-130k

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • 130k and beyond that died

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • 130k and still going

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • 0-59K

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

ChuckyD

Moderator Emeritus Elite Explorer ECX Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 4Runner SR5
A4LD X's when did your tranny go?

I understand that the Tranny on our trucks suck.. im just curious when they went out on your trucks and if you drove your truck hard or not. I drive it hard (got a heavy foot) I do try to refraim from downshifting too often though. I just want to know what to expect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about an "It hasn't gone yet" option also? I have a '94 with the auto tranny, it has 111,000 miles on it and still shifts perfectly. I have had no problems with it (Knock on wood). I do a full fluid swap every 10,000 miles and keep Trans-X in it.

:eek: Oops... This is what I get for coming to the board during the day, when I am supposed to be working!

Mine went at 114k the first time then about 11 more times up until 157k when I got tired of taking it in for warranty and listening to the tranny shops BS about why they couldn't fix it. If it wasn't for that damn tranny I'd still have the 92. Oh well. Life goes on. :rolleyes:

Mine's not dead yet! I've only got ~85k on it though, and I feel it coming... Hopefully I'll manage to toss in the 4.9 I6 and AOD before it dies...

the topic is 91-94 X's, but I think that the 95-97 4.0L use the exact same tranny... mine was around 75K

our 91 eddie lasted to 135,000 perfectly until it was sold. and that was with a ton of towing miles, towing a 25 foot arriva speed boat with a awesome built 540ci in it. the tranny was never serviced other than at 60,000 mile intervals as well.

What...no pre 60k. That's a little optimistic isn't it?

Mine blew up at 95K in South Central LA. That was fun. :rolleyes:

peace

Mike
sly.gif

Our first went at 165k miles.. our 2nd went at 235k miles.. but we had to overheat the motor really bad to break the 2nd one.. actually melted some hard parts at the front of the tranny..

~Mark

Originally posted by Michigander
the topic is 91-94 X's, but I think that the 95-97 4.0L use the exact same tranny... mine was around 75K

Almost right. The only difference is that the 4R55E is fully electronically controlled and was only used on 95-96's. Still a piece of crap though.:)

You are definatly too optimistic, my trany dropped at just under 40k. Yes this is true, but I don't put things like that past the wonderful people at Ford. They claim to build things Ford Tough and then they use the words "quality" and the name "Ford" in one sentence which really makes me angry, because there cars are far from quality. I believe I am the only Explorer owner and hater on this site.

104k and still going... aite bye

On my '92 it went at 75K. Never pulled a trailer or any abusive driving. Trans shop that rebuilt it said it was very common for this trans. After complete rebuild, it went again at 140K. See a pattern here?

whew..

okay, Im at 113,000 with not a hint of probs.. I am the third owner of this 94 my Dad had it before I did for a short time.. most of the milage is freeway, original owner made frequent trips to Baja, though apparently not to get dirty.. I am the first to go wheeling with it.. and of course the auto hubs dont work.. sigh.
Oh, about the tranny, good service, easy driving, now I have it.. Im worried..hehe..
I realize a tranny cooler, frequent service and quality fluids help, but besides replacing the tranny with an alternate setup, is there any kit or rebuild or aftermarket anything that will keep this from going so often? I see so many posts about the weak nature of this unit and wonder why there is not better way of takin care of the problem..
Oh wow.. long post sorry..
Ill sit down.. :)

I bought my X in April, with 135K on it, now has about 153K, it wouldn't shift into overdrive when I bought it, not sure whats wrong with it but other than that it shifts okay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VairKing:
You may want to do a search under vacuum modulator.
That may be why your trans won't shift into overdrive.

Back