"A4LD X's when did your tranny go? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"A4LD X's when did your tranny go?

When did your tranny go out?

• 60k-80k

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • 81k-100k

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • 101k-130k

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • 130k and beyond that died

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • 130k and still going

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • 0-59K

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
Hmm...ive torn down the trans and found the no.2 bearing between the planet and sprag completely annihilated.found rollers in the sprag clutch possibly inhibiting its grabbing capability.I replaced the piston seals in my rebuild but didnt inspect them as i stopped analizing when i discovered the disintergrated bearing.Think i will explore further.Have new planet comming from texas and centershaft from alabama.Found its cheaper to shop for these parts nationwide .The planet was $93 at one outfit and $50 at another.Would think that a wrecking yard would sell a guy a scrap a4ld to scrounge parts from but ,all i found was 1 core for $250.Since a4ld,s bugger the planets often this didnt seem like a good bet.A trans place called makco and one called S&K transparts were the most reasonably priced. Still wonder tho what caused the bearing failure.Didnt change the thrust washers so i dont believe it was ecssesive thrust....hmmm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not A4ld but....

5R55E....113k:( and $2650!

Moral of this story: don't get an ex with an auto tranny!!!!!! The manual version is funner and better anyways!!!!:cool:

110,780 miles and still kicking a@@

must be nice

124,000 and still going. seems to get hot when I tow the boat.

1993 LTD 2WD tranny still orignal at 212K highway miles, I drive easy and it still shift smoothly. I serviced my tranny a couple times and the tranny never strand me yet.

Mine finally went at 202,200 miles.

SoBeLover said:
110,780 miles and still kicking a@@

Well, since I posted that my tranny has given me a few problems, it still runs well but when it gets overheated it spits tranny fluid out the vent pipe. Someone where I work is going to look at it and see what's wrong but it looks like time for a replacement :(

182,??? still no probs... but this supercharger may change that:)

Back