"A4LD X's when did your tranny go? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"A4LD X's when did your tranny go?

When did your tranny go out?

• 60k-80k

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • 81k-100k

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • 101k-130k

Votes: 21 17.1%
  • 130k and beyond that died

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • 130k and still going

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • 0-59K

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought my '91 X(actually I straight traded for my '81 CJ7) just two months ago. As far as I know, I'm it's 3rd owner. The first owner (Rober Urich) had it 'till about 70K miles, it's second owner had the tranny go out right after buying it. I got it with 134K & the tranny was pretty jacked. Cold it would work very sluggishly through all gears. Once it wamed up, it wouldn't go past 2nd. The previous owner had parked it because he didn't want to drop the $ on rebuilding it again. I asked if he'd tried servicing it & got the usuall "it's a crappy trans. that just dies every 70K or less, you're gonna have to rebuild it. He towed it to my house and we made the trade. "I changed the fluid & filter and it got quite a bit better, but not perfect. I then disconnected the cooler hoses & proceded to run/drain & refill another 6or7 quarts of fluid, magic cure! 2k miles later it's still working well. I plan to re-service it soon & add an in-line filter to hopfully keep it alive. The fluid in it was so bad that it's still dark after all the fluid I've put through it. I'm sure the lack of service cut it's life some, but for now it's running!

Mine bit the big one suddenly at 80K. No problems till just one day... kablooie.

nick

Guess I spoke too soon. I thought I'd saved my tranny, but one day I noticed that the torque converter clutch was no longer working. No biggie I thought, just a little loss of gas mileage aint worth a rebuild. Then one day I towed my buddy's boat for him (aprox. 4500lbs.). We had some pretty steep, long hills to clime & like a dumb*&# I put my foot to the floor to show how well the X pulls a load. A few minutes into it I notice a James Bond style smoke screen comming from under the truck, so I ease up on it. When I got home I went straight to the trans. dipstick where I found my just serviced fluid burnt as hell. The trans. was still working well so I thought I'd just change it again. The next morning I jump in to go get some trans. fluid & no upshift! After manually engaging 2nd & getting it up to 45 or so I put it back in D then it went back to norm. I've been driving it that way a couple weeks now. Every time it sits an hour or so, it won't up-shift till I force it, & occasionally sticks in 2nd when I come to a stop untill it warms up. I went ahead & seviced it hoping it would help, NOPE. I'd been considering selling it, now I may have my decider.

I can't vote on this.. I had 1 tranny go out at 45k and my 2nd one is now got 1 foot in the grave and I'm at 67k.... ford transmissions suck.. HORRIBLE for reliability.

plus I have a 4R70W so I dont count.. but I'll give my inpiut anyway, cos....... I dunno..

2 explorers, 2 rebuilds. 2 tired of this.

My 1996 just went dead at 89k, im not sure it was cuz of the water in the tranny that made it die, but the tech said it had tons of shavings, and the entire thing was shot, and theres no way to rebuild it, just throw a new one in there. So i got the warranty, and i should be getting another transmission installed soon.

Wondering how the 4x4 '99 4L SOHC (4.10 gears weee!!!) trannies are. They are the 5R55E right? Any input on them is awsome.

my car has 133k miles on it. about a month ago, no problems, then all of a sudden, i let my foot off of the brake at a stop sign, gunned it and VROOM!! the tach shot up to 5k but the car sat there and did nothing. im rebuilding it myself in a week

A4LD

1st rebuild at 87K...2nd rebuild at 137k...now have 168k and it has a slight 1st gear slip occasionally. So, what have I done...well I bought a 2002 XLS and am really happy with it!

110,000 on my sisters 94', was mine, driven very hard and still on the orginal trans with no slipping at all. Another friend has about 160,000 miles on his 94' with no slipping on the original trans and he does some offroading in Maine where he lives and drove down here for school. knock on wood lol!

First time was @ 110k, and again about 18 months after that at @ 120k. Having probs again, but it is still under warranty now.

170-180k

mine seemed to start slipping around 170k and then stopped. just now started to stick in first gear unless i ease off and then it will shift. probably lost 2nd gear from what i can tell but i havent gone to a tranny shop yet. I'm expecting to need the "R" word sometime soon.

Mine usually sticks in the morning unless I let the x warm up for about 10 minutes

I didnt see the option for "I own a 5spd i dont have to worry about ford's crap transmissions" :D

156,000 and still goin strong

92 Xlt. Transmission slipped in reverse gear at 140K. Rebuilt and is still going strong at 250K.

I am possibly the 3rd owner of a 91 ranger with the a4ld. It tossed its front seal at 125K and puked all 11 quarts out christmas morning 20 miles from my brothers house (an 45 from mine).Good hitching on christmas bye the way.My rebuild (yeah....me...i rebuilt it) lasted 150 mile....thats..."one hundred and fifty miles".Tommorow i take it out again and see what went wrong. It slips in all ranges.Moves when its cold but slips to the point of immobility when warm. Anyone got a clue as to what went wrong...feel free to email me at ....jlieurance@hotmail.com

Mine just ate the overdrive clutch's at 71,000. Very low mileage for a 91 X. Im only the second owner and this truck has sat so much in its life. So now im gonna rebuild it myself:eek:...fun for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jon42
I think your problem is the seals in the pistons. Inside of each drum there is a piston that activates the clutches. If that seal is not in PERFECT condition it will cause it to slip in every gear especially when it is warm. I just finished rebuilding my trans and missed one of those seals and it cost me another rebuild kit and ALOT of frustration :confused: Good luck!

Back