• Register Today It's free!

? about abs light being on

2000XPLORERSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
lambertville,mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
my abs light has been on now for about 3-4 months now.i cleaned the sensors up front,but could not find the ones in the rear.but my brakes work just fine.no pulling,no noises everything seems to be ok.but what i was wondering was with my abs light on at all times,do i still have abs? or is my braking individual braking say certain wheel/wheels?im just curious if all my abs is working properly with the abs light on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your ABS light is on, the braking system has detected some sort of fault with the ABS, and has disabled the system. You currently are running on a standard non-ABS system. I'd suggest going to somewhere like Autozone and having the code read. They usually will read the codes for free.

yea thats what i figured that it would be disabled if the light was on.but actually i own a xcaliber 2 programmer and it does read trouble codes.but when i plug it in and hit read codes,nothing shows up.just when my check engine light comes on sometimes it will pick up 2 codes,p-0171,p-0174 which are bank 1 and bank 2 lean codes.which is a different issue.but i get no code for the abs.

IIRC, the brake codes don't get picked up by most of the hand held programmers like an XCal2 or Predator. I believe you need one of the full blown diagnostic readers to see the ABS codes.

oh ok i guess thats why it dont show up.next time i go to autozone i will have them pull the code for me.when i get it i'll post it on here if they can't tell me what the code is or how to fix it.

Back