• Register Today It's free!

ABS Gremlins

udnyexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Aberdeen Scotland
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer, 2003
Done masses work to 2000 explorer and running a dream, evrything seems to work now, even heater blower after mods, but still issues with brake bleeding and ABS
I read that earlier explorers need garage with dianostic tool to exercise ABS whilst bleeding, but did read later models dont.
I see that there is a difference between circa 97 and older and 98 and newer Explorers ABS units.

QUESTION DOES THE NEWER ABS NEED EXERCISED DURING BLEEDING

My ABS I feel is dead, ABS dash light on all the time, all 3 sensors reading correct resistance (front new anyway) and when checking connector there is power to ABS module, and there is power vis the ABS active line. Electric motor works fine (hot wired) but never turns even on inition switch on

I did repalce the electronic pack and motor from my 98 explorer but exactly the same ( I do know that one works) so even stranger

The quest for ABS becoming urgent for the dreaded MOT

Yup still spngy brakes, even tried using vacuum pump today but exactly the same.:mad:

Last we point friends grand cherokee abs LOOKS SAME UNIT.... WILL IT FIT

Hope you might be able to assist if anyone knows of any ideas

My brakes were the same. I tried everything on mine that you probably have. After about a gallon of brake fluid, suddenly the rear right brake let out alot of trapped air with just the standard two people method. One pressing brake and the other opening and closing the bleed nipple. This was done over a period of weeks when I knew it had to be trapped air. My brakes are now really solid. Perseverance paid off in the end with no logic when the air came out. Mine is an early 97. Good luck.

still trying

I know what you mean by perceverance..... its been two weeks or so since fitting refurb calipers etc..... even refitted old units but still the same .......

If you try the two man method, get the other person to pump the pedal 5 or 6 times and press hard while undoing the bleed nipple. I'm sure the air will be trapped inside the abs unit. There must be some reason why ford say it should be connected to their machine to energise it.
I must have just been lucky.

Back