Abs light on- garage says I need to replace Hub$$ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Abs light on- garage says I need to replace Hub$$

2talll

Reaction score
City, State
Ansonia, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
The ABS light came on last week so I had it checked on this morning. Turns out the senson on the front right needs to be replaced. Does anyone else think it's totally stupid that I need to spend nearly $500 bucks to replace the entire hub when it's only a cheap senson that isn't working?!?!

Anyway, my brother says he's going to try to do it for me next Saturday to save me some money, but before we do-

Is there a cheaper alternative to replace the sensor that you guys know about???? It seems like every expensive problem I've had, someone on this board has a cheaper/better way to fix it that the garage won't tell about.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may get lucky and find the sensor is dirty--or find a bad wiring connection to it.
I wonder if a sensor could be robbed from a
"bad " hub--and if anyone here has one??

I did have one, but used it. That is how I know the sensor can cause problems. After I did the superlift, my ABS was activating falsely, I checked everything, finally put the spare sensor I had on. Problem solved.

I would think someone on here has one.

I know when I had a front end noise issue - I priced out a hub where I work and it was pretty expensive (300-400 dollars).

-Drew

I know when I had a front end noise issue - I priced out a hub where I work and it was pretty expensive (300-400 dollars).

-Drew

is that with customer markup? On autozone and napa's site they range from 175-200(for a timken). ITs not hard to change either. one big nut needs to be loosend and 3 bolts behind the spindle and it comes out like butter.

The last time I replaced a hub, it only cost me $275.00 from the ford dealer.
It's not likely that you have to replace the hub, just go buy the sensor, they don't cost that much. Less than a hundred bucks for sure.

If you do replace it (hub) its pretty straight foward with a few hand tools and a torque wrench. About 2 hrs total. I beleive there is a sticky on doing it

I am a former Timken engineer who worked in a plant who produces the hubs for Ford, DC, GM and Nissan.
For clarity the sensor reads a metallic component which is called a target wheel. The sensor reads the target wheel for hub rotational speed and converts in to an electrical signal. The target wheel would never fail unless bearing material was flaoting around within the assembly and filled the gaps within the target wheel.

We had sensors fail out of the box as all sensors are tested during assembly and prior to shipment. If metal shavings or other contaminents collect on the end of the sensor after use, it will effect what the abs reads and cause abs voltage faults. I would remove a replace the sensor first.

Clean the mount pad for the sensor, as the air gap between the sensor and target wheel are critical for proper operation.

Is this for real? I had the dealer replace the sensors on my old 97 explorer 4x4 under warranty. I don't remember them putting new hubs on the truck. I have to replace the sensors on my 2000 X 4x4, but did not expect to have to pay 400 for the entire hub. Can Ford really design something so dumb?

Back