ABS Light question (already searched) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light question (already searched)

95fx4

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Like the title says i have already searched and didn't really come up with an answer. looks like someone had a similar issue on a 3rd gen but couldn't find anything pertaining to my 2nd gen.

so here is my question, with a little back story.. few days ago while driving to work my Ex felt like it was driving under a load. like i was pulling a trailer or something, she just felt sluggish. got to work parked and went on about my day. that night on the way home same thing. felt like it was just working harder than normal. about halfway home my ABS light came on. got home parked shut it off and walked around it, didnt notice any smell or smoke. my first guess was maybe my brakes were partially engaged but i didnt notice any signs of this when i inspected the truck.
next day got in it. started up and no light, drove and acted just like normal. no longer felt like it was under some sort of load.

ive been acting like all is good and haven't further investigated the issue but in the back of my head i've been wondering WTH that was all about... should i be be concerned about what happened? is there anything i should look into, or because it hasn't happened again should i not be concerned? i just dont want any future issues because i didn't do anything to correct a possible problem..

any input would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to check and see if a brakes grabbing just find a very slight incline, put it in neutral and see if it rolls on its own.

As for the light it could be many things. If the brakes feel the same it's most likely a faulty sensor in the front hub or the one on the rear axle.

A bad front wheel bearing can trip that light.
Could cause a drag also then free up again.

My ABS light is coming on and off at random times on my 1996 Explorer (250,000 miles). I had the code read and was told it was the front right side. Luckily, it is very easy to take out my front wheel sensor so I cleaned the front two. Did not work. I think I will unplug both and read them with a ohm meter to see if there is any differences between the two. Any other easy test? What kind of voltage should be going to them?

Sounds like the sensor in the wheel hub is bad. I had the same thing with my 96. The ABS light was on and the code indicated that the wheel hub needed to be replaced. I would check that if after cleaning the sensors does not clear the ABS light

Back