• Register Today It's free!

AC button doesn't work

Timz917

Reaction score
City, State
Avon,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
My AC button doesn't work so the only way i get my AC to work is if i put it on MAX AC. Which doesn't really help because all that does is recycle the air in the car. Also if I have MAX AC on and go over 40mph the blower automatically switches and blows the air out of the defroster vents. Can anyone help? Or point me to a thread with a similar issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

Ok... but when I have the air on "panel" and press the AC button. It doesnt light up. Do you know if that could be a fuse?

But it lights up when I set it to MAX AC.

mine does the exact same thing. Just bought it so not sure if that is normal or what. Would like to hear from others

just solved the problem. bought a can of r134a and went to hook it up but it didn't fit the fitting. Friggin ford I thought, then I realized I read about up side and down side lines so started looking. Sure enough passenger side next to radiator and air filter is the smaller fitting that fit my hose. I already had one of those cheap hose/valve kits for cans of 134a. No gauges or nothing. Hooked it up, started engine and ac, went out and turned valve releasing 134a and let it run for about 10 minutes. Immediately when I started the process I noticed that my ac button was lit even though it wasn't on max ac. First time since I bought it. After 10 minutes bottle still felt like it had stuff in it so I set it into a empty butter tub filled with hot water as per instructions on another post. Sure enough a couple of more minutes and the bottle felt empty. Turned everything off and disconnected bottle. Just a little gas blew into the air so 95% of the can went into the system. Heard a little leaking and that stopped when I put the cap back on the fitting. Returned 10 minutes latter to put teflon tape onto the treads but noticed the minor leaking had stopped. Best of all, ac works much better. Super easy fix for under $20. I notice a sensor hooked to the ac line. I think this was telling your ac button not to light cause it wasn't cooling properly. good luck

Back