• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration Problems

Andy7416

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello all...new to the group! I’ve been searching forums to try and find a solution to the problem I am having with my 2014 Explorer Sport, 3.5L eco boost. When I accelerate I can feel the vehicle surging as it accelerates. It does this from a gradual acceleration or a quick acceleration. It feels as if a switch or solenoid is swinging off and on. The car has around 90,000 miles on it. It really feels like the turbo switching off and on. I know that doesn’t sound right but that’s the way it feels. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the response. It doesn’t really sound like that to me. Imagine if you had a switch to turn the turbo off and on. It feels like, as you accelerate, that you are switching it off and on. It doesn’t lose all power but it is definitely noticeable.

Definitely not the AC. It’s actually rhythmic....like you are pushing the gas pedal down about halfway, then letting up and pushing back down.

Coil packs starting to go bad. Do you have a way to Datalog the engine? If you look for a program called Forscan all you will need is a ODB dongel to connect to the port and transmit to a Windows PC. It will allow you to Datalog and do some basic trouble shooting.

My money is on coil packs or just one pack. Change plugs and gap correctly and test the packs.

Mike

Back