• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation during acceleration

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Timberline w/TechPak
I have a 4WD 2014 XLT Explorer that occasionally "drags" when I try to accelerate. It can be bad, almost dangerous, if I start to accelerate then back off briefly before accelerating again. It feels like something is purposefully attenuating the throttle response.

I suspect a sensor because I can't seem to make it happen when it's in the Sand Mode.

I've shut-off traction control and trailer sway control and it seems to help some but not completely.

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has been brought up a few times here but I haven't been able to find those posts yet. I recall that members expressed a high concern about the safety aspect of the issue. Perhaps another member will have more luck or can relay their experiences/resolution.

Peter

Hello all. First post so if it’s in the wrong place please move it. Thanks.

I have a 2013 explorer limited. I have been having problems with hesitation during accelerating for the past few months. It also has a slight rattle/vibration. It stops once I get past 40mph.

I have changed the plugs, boots, air filter, PCs valve, and purge valve and none of that has solved the problem. It’s been to the dealer twice and they cannot figure it out. They tested fuel trims, throttle body, o2 sensor, fuel injector flow rate, misfire counts, and intake leaks and they have all passed.

Any ideas on what this could be? Thanks.

What engine do you have?

Welcome to the Forum JD414.:wave:
There are several threads on poor acceleration, hesitation and stumble that I found with the 'Search' feature. The one with the 'stumble' issue was resolved by replacing an oxygen sensor.
How many miles on the vehicle? Have the spark plugs been replaced?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum JD414.:wave:
There are several threads on poor acceleration, hesitation and stumble that I found with the 'Search' feature. The one with the 'stumble' issue was resolved by replacing an oxygen sensor.
How many miles on the vehicle? Have the spark plugs been replaced?

Peter

Around 130k. Everything we have done is posted in my original post. Plugs have been replaced.

3.5 Ecoboost? The SHO and F 150 have a tendency to partially fill the intercooler with "fluid" and full throttle tends to suck some of it out causing a stumble/hesitation. Havn't been following the explorer enough to relate to it yet. Just enamored with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the ability get in and out without a shoehorn and vaseline to buy one.

3.5 Ecoboost? The SHO and F 150 have a tendency to partially fill the intercooler with "fluid" and full throttle tends to suck some of it out causing a stumble/hesitation. Havn't been following the explorer enough to relate to it yet. Just enamored with the 3.5 Ecoboost and the ability get in and out without a shoehorn and vaseline to buy one.
His is the 3.5 NA, not the Ecoboost (only available on Sports for that model year).

Any other ideas?
Flashing and updating requires a dealer only because it's cheaper than buying all the equipment and subscription to IDS yourself (we're talking $2k+ from what I remember).

You could try resetting your entire system by disconnecting the battery, wait 10 minutes, reconnect, and see if the issue goes away within 100 miles of driving.

Any chance a tranny fluid change and fuel system cleaning at the dealer would make a difference?

Difficult to say without knowing the actual cause of the problem.

Peter

Any other ideas?
Try switching to Sand mode and see if you have the same issue assuming the hesitation is at a low speed. Read about that in another thread. (now merged with yours)

Peter

Try switching to Sand mode and see if you have the same issue assuming the hesitation is at a low speed. Read about that in another thread.

Peter
I tried sand mode and no issues. More power and response. What does this mean?

I tried sand mode and no issues. More power and response. What does this mean?
I don't really know. I've merged your thread with this one and the idea is in the first post. You can try doing it in Snow mode and see if you get the same result. It might provide a clue for the dealership or an other member.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't really know. I've merged your thread with this one and the idea is in the first post. You can try doing it in Snow mode and see if you get the same result. It might provide a clue for the dealership or an other member.

Peter
Could try it in all the different modes, but the point of that is that's its ruling out the TMS and/or traction control, from what I understand.

Does the same thing happen in Sport mode?

Back