Hesitation during acceleration | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation during acceleration

I get it in my 19 XLT if I don't turn off TC in drive. I always assumed it was the same as when the wheel slips or when you try to drive off too fast after going from reverse to drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 3.5L v6 stutter before, done transmission oil change, flush 3.6L, then run 1 hour then fill up again. All the stutter was removed. Now, I have issues going uphill. Seems that it’s accelerating slowly and engine revs so high and slow

I have a 4WD 2014 XLT Explorer that occasionally "drags" when I try to accelerate. It can be bad, almost dangerous, if I start to accelerate then back off briefly before accelerating again. It feels like something is purposefully attenuating the throttle response.

I suspect a sensor because I can't seem to make it happen when it's in the Sand Mode.

I've shut-off traction control and trailer sway control and it seems to help some but not completely.

Any thoughts?
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2013 doing the exact same thing. Replaced plugs, coil packs and O2 sensors. Nothing helps.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2013 doing the exact same thing. Replaced plugs, coil packs and O2 sensors. Nothing helps.
Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
Throttle body?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
Throttle body?

Peter
It just threw a P0430 code so now I am thinking Catalytic converter. I am getting tired of guessing and throwing money at it though.

The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature. Not sure if the following threads will help.

Peter

It just threw a P0430 code so now I am thinking Catalytic converter. I am getting tired of guessing and throwing money at it though.

Tap the cat converter when its cold and see if anything bounces inside

If you are techy it is possible to graph timing and other data using forscan on ur phone/laptop

I have a 4WD 2014 XLT Explorer that occasionally "drags" when I try to accelerate. It can be bad, almost dangerous, if I start to accelerate then back off briefly before accelerating again. It feels like something is purposefully attenuating the throttle response.

I suspect a sensor because I can't seem to make it happen when it's in the Sand Mode.

I've shut-off traction control and trailer sway control and it seems to help some but not completely.

Any thoughts?
Same issue on 2017 explorer, transmission flush fixed it. Sounds like it’s a normal issue

Same issue on 2017 explorer, transmission flush fixed it. Sounds like it’s a normal issue
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back