Adding hitch to 2018 JB5Z-19D520-AA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding hitch to 2018 JB5Z-19D520-AA

Floppy98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I taking delivery of a new 2018 XLT this weekend and considered adding this OEM trailer hitch to it (part # JB5Z-19D520-AA). Has anyone bought this for theirs? Just wondering if I should have the dealer install it or should I have just got one with the tow package. This is my first post so I hope I’m doing this right!

You should of went with the tow package. No matter what you do with the tow accessories that you add on now the towing capacity will never raise from what your vehicle had from the factory. Which is a couple thousand pounds less than if you would of gotten the tow package. You should be able to find that information in the owners manual.

I taking delivery of a new 2018 XLT this weekend and considered adding this OEM trailer hitch to it (part # JB5Z-19D520-AA). Has anyone bought this for theirs? Just wondering if I should have the dealer install it or should I have just got one with the tow package. This is my first post so I hope I’m doing this right!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Several members have added hitches after the fact. Some have even added the class III hitch. But as JAPeterson mentioned your Explorer will be limited to 2000 lbs. towing capacity. When the tow package is ordered from the factory, several other items are installed as well, including a different transmission, oil cooler, tow/haul feature and a few other items.
Using the Forum's 'Search' feature I found this thread that you may be interested in; Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? There are also several other threads about the same issue/concern.

Peter

Thank u! I have a ‘16 f150 so I tow the heavy stuff with that. I really just want it on the Explorer for adding a cargo carrier for long trips or bike rack. I would have preferred to have found one with it but most included other features I didn’t want

Back