Who has added the OEM hitch - DIY? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who has added the OEM hitch - DIY?

ember1205

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Central CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
I'm looking for people that have added the OEM hitch, not an aftermarket one, to an Explorer equipped with a rear camera / backup sensors. I need a hitch, but do not need everything that the actual tow package adds to the vehicle. I can manage quite fine with just the factory hitch (or a direct, identical replacement) and a 4-wire harness.

Please note: If you've installed an aftermarket hitch that sits BELOW the rear bumper, this is NOT what I'm searching for. I intend to install either the actual factory hitch or one that is identical, change the plastics on the bumper, and achieve the exact same look and feel that the factory tow package gives you by "hiding" the hitch behind the lower bumper panel when it isn't in use.

Please cite any details that you have pertaining to what you had to buy (part numbers, where you ordered, approximate costs, etc.) and what the installation effort entailed.

I know that the lower panel on the non-tow vehicles is a single piece of plastic that can be removed and replaced with a double-piece (one of which is the flat panel that snaps on and off to expose or hide the hitch). At least, I -think- I know this. :)

I have also read that the wiring harness is shared between the backup sensors and the trailer wiring, so it would seem that the plug can be added easily. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to remove the entire bumper as the hitch receiver is welded into a reinforced version of the standard bumper.

without class III hitch

RenderIllustration.ashx

with class III hitch

RenderIllustration.ashx

Using the 'seach' function brings up a few thread talking about adding the OEM hitch. The following thread has links to a U Tube video of a DIY install;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386861&highlight=hitch+install

Peter

I know how to search as I'm a member of a LOT of forums. I'm not looking for Class I hitches, I want the OEM hitch, which is a Class III, or a reasonably close approximation of it. I want the ability to hide it just like the OEM one does. And, I didn't find anything that seemed to apply.

Sorry, my mistake. When it said OEM I assumed, incorrectly, that it was a class III. After running the part number I found it was only a class I. I believe the cover in the video however, is the same for all Ford OEM hitches.
I found the class III hitch appears to be XL5Z-17D826-AB.
Vehicles with the factory installed class III hitch also come with an oil cooler and slightly different transmission as well as the tow/haul button.
There is also a thread that discussed class II and III and seems to think that they are physically the same but names and ratings are changed depending on where or who installed it.:dunno:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412307&highlight=class+III
Good luck. I'm sure other members will respond.

Peter

Attachments

• 61FAkiWMl8L__SL1500__001.JPG
    61FAkiWMl8L__SL1500__001.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 1,378

From what I can tell, that hitch is for the Ford Ranger only.

I'm finding absolutely nothing in terms of the OEM hitch, so I'm supposing that it's not at all a user-installable part and/or requires a fair amount of work as mentioned above (welding required... ?).

I'm happy to consider an aftermarket hitch, but I -really- want it to install like the OEM hitch so I can hide it with the bumper panels.

Found some really good information this evening...

Two videos on YouTube that show the entire process AND the part number for the kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4hc_EE3NDg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO6VVoA0h8I

The kit that's needed is BB5Z-19D520-AA and can be bought from a number of places. NO drilling, NO welding, and the cover is included. I can't tell if the kit also includes wiring (seems to not). Price for the kit is about $250 as of today.

The install is time-consuming, and not for the faint of heart (you have to pull the bumper cover, mud flaps, tail lights, and the exhaust hangers... plus, it requires cutting the factory bumper cover). But it results in an absolutely factory-perfect look and will allow the full towing capacity to be leveraged.

Yes, I understand that the Tow Package includes items specifically to aid in towing at higher speed, pulling heavier loads, or hauling long distance. I'm not going to pull more than 2000 pounds and having the factory height of the hitch is something that helps me significantly.

I'm guessing my total cash outlay would be around $300 including wiring and other items I might need.

That kit is exactly the one in the video link that I referenced in my previous post #3 that shows the DIY installation. It is also the same video. Part 2 of the video was on the same video page.

Peter

I admit to not watching the video link, and the discussion was about the linked part being a Class I hitch. The part number is clearly a Class III.

Also, there is no difference in the transmission or the final drive ratio that I am aware of. The Tow button holds the transmission from shifting longer to prevent "hunting".

When I do a Google search on BB5Z-19D520-AA it comes back as Class I. Some posts I've read here say that the Tow/Haul button when engaged locks out the Overdrive. In any case, good luck with your project.:thumbsup:

Peter

Verified everything with the dealer today:

- It's labeled Class I but it actually is the Class III hitch that would be installed as part of the factory tow package.
- Ford labels it Class I because the oil cooler and larger radiator are not included in the kit. The whole package is required in order for Ford to honor warranty and such if towing up to 5000 lbs.
- Ford states that the factory tow package is required to tow trailers over 2000 lbs.
- Part number is correct.
- Fits 2011 and newer (Gen 5) Explorers not equipped with factory tow package.
- Readily available.
- List price is roughly $300. Seems you should be able to purchase for roughly 20% off list.

I did not determine whether the wiring harness or mounting plates are included in the kit, but I suspect they are not.

Thanks for getting that info and posting. :):thumbsup:
Good luck with the project.

Peter

Has anybody actually confirmed that there are any differences between the transmissions in the vehicles with and without the tow package?

I'm having the same dilemma and want to get pretty much everything needed to make it as identical to the factory 52T trailering package as possible.

My understanding is that you essentially need:
1) Class 3 Hitch (Although it would be nice to have the hidden oem hitch it seems like a lot of work removing the bumper and cutting it out)
2) Factory Oil Cooler
3) Larger Radiator (not sure if you'll need it, I've driven the crap out of the Explorer on back roads in 40 Celsius weather at 6000+rpm and in 80000km the coolant hasn't dropped at all)
4) Tow button (essentially holds gears longer and downshifts earlier. Would be nice to have but I'm sure the selectshift can essentially do the same thing and you can hold your gears as long as you want)

There are a LOT of threads with misinformation about legality and whatnot. I don't know about the states but in Ontario, Canada you are on the clear as long as you don't cross your GVWR . This brings me to another issue where I have seen a lot of information about in threads.

There is a difference between GVWR and Gross Combined Weight Rating. My door sticker mentions nothing about Ford's 10K pounds and 7K pounds (which is the info found on the trailering brochure).

Using my car as an example, I have roughly 1300 pounds to GVWR which means that even with an 800 pound passenger payload I would still have ample room for up to 500 pounds for towing. The 500 pounds is HITCH WEIGHT and NOT total trailer weight.

I plan on adding an OEM oil cooler and an aftermarket hitch and don't see any issues hitting the 5K Ford states the car will do (realistically will only need 3K since I plan on getting a travel trailer in a couple years).

Wonder if ford has a program where they can inspect your car and officially give you the 5K rating if you add the necessary items.

Has anybody actually confirmed that there are any differences between the transmissions in the vehicles with and without the tow package?
This was discussed here quite a while ago and believe that there is a difference in the transmissions.

Peter

This was discussed here quite a while ago and believe that there is a difference in the transmissions.

Peter

I'm curious to read about it. I keep searching but haven't found a link. All the threads I'm looking at seem to state that in 2012 Ford made all the 6F50 transmissions the same for all models across the board for the Explorer. I am aware that the 2.0EB has the 6F35 (lower torque rating, no selectshift or paddles) and the 3.5EB has the 6F55 (higher torque rating, paddle shifters)

When I bought my EX recently, I was curious as to what was involved with the Class III that was included on mine. A different tranny, 6F55, which is one of three available for the EX with the 6F55 being used for the Class III package. An oil cooler along with the 'tow button', AWD/FWD also required with 3.65 gears, also included for the Class III option. I believe I used 'Class III option for 2015 Explorer' for a google search, or some such. Depending on what you are towing much of the Class III option may not be needed. :salute:

When I bought my EX recently, I was curious as to what was involved with the Class III that was included on mine. A different tranny, 6F55, which is one of three available for the EX with the 6F55 being used for the Class III package. An oil cooler along with the 'tow button', AWD/FWD also required with 3.65 gears, also included for the Class III option. I believe I used 'Class III option for 2015 Explorer' for a google search, or some such. Depending on what you are towing much of the Class III option may not be needed. :salute:

Very surprised that they don't mention anything about the 6F55 on the trailering guide. All they really state is Oil cooler, 4/7pin connector and the hitch receiver. Also, according to that chart both the Tow package equipped and non-tow equipped AWD 3.5EX should have the same 3.65 rear end. This is straight from this:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_explorer_oct1.pdf

What is very strange about that chart however is that they don't have any weights listed for the 3.5EB 4WD Explorer. Did they never have 4WD 3.5EB Explorers in 2013?

Wondering if one of the Ford reps here can confirm that adding the receiver, oil cooler and 4/7 pin connector will give you full warranty.

Very surprised that they don't mention anything about the 6F55 on the trailering guide. All they really state is Oil cooler, 4/7pin connector and the hitch receiver. Also, according to that chart both the Tow package equipped and non-tow equipped AWD 3.5EX should have the same 3.65 rear end. This is straight from this:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_explorer_oct1.pdf

What is very strange about that chart however is that they don't have any weights listed for the 3.5EB 4WD Explorer. Did they never have 4WD 3.5EB Explorers in 2013?

Wondering if one of the Ford reps here can confirm that adding the receiver, oil cooler and 4/7 pin connector will give you full warranty.
Stumbled across this post while looking for something else;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3396769&postcount=209

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Very surprised that they don't mention anything about the 6F55 on the trailering guide. All they really state is Oil cooler, 4/7pin connector and the hitch receiver. Also, according to that chart both the Tow package equipped and non-tow equipped AWD 3.5EX should have the same 3.65 rear end. This is straight from this:

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...lorer_oct1.pdf

Wondering if one of the Ford reps here can confirm that adding the receiver, oil cooler and 4/7 pin connector will give you full warranty."

That is a bit confusing as they show the total combined weight, vehicle + trailer, in the 'FWD' section of that list for the 3.5EB. The 'Sport is only available in 4WD, along with that engine so, those number should be in the 4WD section of that list I think. I would say, that's a typo.

Aside from that, I would have been happy for Ford to include a complete list of equipment involved with the class III, instead of having to research it and I'm not sure I have discovered all that's involved with the class III option. These are the kind of things the dealer can't answer if asked because I don't think this kind of list is available to them. I had to google to find out what tranny I had and after that, didn't know if it was a more heavy duty tranny. The only thing I can say for sure is that the 6F55 can be found on Explorer's with the class III option with AWD/4WD. I can't speak to FWD models with a class III. Judging by their load capacity I would guess not.

I'd still be interested in finding a complete list for the class III. What I'm certain of for my EX anyway is a 6F55 tranny with 'tow selector', 3.65 gears and a oil cooler and I can't be certain the 'tow selector' portion is exclusive the 4WD models.

Anyway, someone out their knows for certain what the complete package entails and at some point, it will be revealed I hope. :dunno:

Back