Additional fun with this M5OD-R1 in our Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Additional fun with this M5OD-R1 in our Explorer

Tedybear

Reaction score
City, State
Fulton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Stats of course:

1995 Stock Ford Explorer with the 4.0 OHV.

High miles (240k) Did a run down to the pick and pull yard yesterday, noted a very odd sound coming from the transmission. Wife let me know it did it for her a couple of days earlier. I've been using this as a daily driver sense the VW was off the road pending a spindle replacement/wheel bearing issues. (Thankfully that's been done now, as this one seems to want $$ again)

Pardon the road noise. Seems to be there mostly in 3rd gear, and a lot in 5th gear. Let off the gas and just hold speed-it quiets down. Hammer on it or engine brake and it gets louder.

I drove it through all gears on the video, and you can hear when I engine braked and accelerated.

Thought or ideas? The new clutch worked wonders on everything else. She's been shifting like a dream sense the clutch system was replaced.

Fluid checked this morning. It was slightly low. (about 1/4 a quart). Noted was a small leak. Looks like the output shaft seal. The shift rails where left alone when we did the clutch. No sign of leakage then, or now. (We pulled the rubber boot up, and can see quite a bit if things where leaking top-down. Also did a solid visual, no leaks from the top.)

We have about 10+ of snow expected over the next couple of days, so I'll have no choice but to drive the explorer for the 4wd. If it mellows out (weather wise) for a week or so, we can probably pull things apart for basic repairs, but anything heavy duty might have to wait until Spring. (I have no garage area to work in-my idiot step father never cleaned out the barn/work area...it's loaded with his junk and it would take days to move it...)

Wife was wondering if we could just not use 5th/OD gears and eat the fuel mileage. Seems to be really talkative in 5th gear. 3rd is chattering, but 5th is really obnoxious. In order to nurse things along, we might just not use overdrive/5th gear for the time being. That seems to be the major issues.

S-

Well that's sad :(
4th is a 1:1 ratio and doesn't seem to be making the noises... I'd imagine limping it along using 4th as the highest gear would prolong the life of it.

It will hurt the mileage pretty good... my 5spd ohv with 4.10 gearing needs atleast 2 more gears as 5th isn't nearly tall enough.

Wish I had better options. Snow's already getting ready to roll in, and I've no where decent to drop a transmission until spring. I might wind up sneaking to the folks place and gutting the barn out AGAIN so I can roll the ol' beast back in. It's a rather confined space to do anything, but I've got plywood on the dirt floor and I'm used to working up there.

I can deal with 4th gear. I'll horck off drivers, as I won't go over 55 LOL. But if it can be nursed along for a short while until spring...(that and me finding either the time/parts....or a used one. Had a used one lined up to go into this, but the input bearings where toasted.)

S-

Totally fine to not use 5th. It wasn't that long ago that all cars came with 1:1 final drive ratio (no overdrive).

Back