adjust your TPS (another free hp mod) | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

The highest voltage should be in the 5 volt range. I would suspect a bad TPS, even the new one. Buy a Ford part for important components like that. The engine will probably do better with 1 volt instead of 1.75v.

I ordered this unit from US and was really looking forward to do this "fix" after a long wait for the arrival.
Shame on the seller and I really hope the custom support is good.

Anyway.. I got the metal rings out of the old one, and will give it a try tomorrow.

Frank

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

T P S drilling for adjustment

Used my dremel & a cone shaped grinding stone. Ground off one side of the flanged sleeve & it then pushes right out the other side. this removal almost allowed me enough room for my adjustment to get it to .96. A lot easier to drill now... if you have to..

Stupid qustion. But i know nothing about wiring! When you say "tap into the green wire", what exactly do you mean? How do I do this? By cutting the wire?

I know nothing about wiring, so Ive never used a Multimeter before.

Thanks

Just poke into it. Multimeter usually has black and red wires coming out. Poke the black in the black and the red in the green wire on tps. NO CUTTING

I got the "old" (drilled out) sensor down to 1.31V, but have order a brand new original one from Ford and the goal is 0.96.
No problem with the refund of the defect TPS from Rockauto.
Great support as always - thanks guys.

I hope to get the new one in a couple of days, and will post the result here.

Cheers
Frank

i did my 1999 explorer xlt OBD II uk spec and it does without a doubt idle better not sure about throtle response or mpg yet but ill let you know cheers all

I have 2003 mountaineer with 4.6 and I checked it today came up with .69 then I loosened the screws and moved it slightly it jumped to .89. will it make much of a difference from being off .07 if so im gonna try to adjust it more tomarrow when I have better light. with it being off that much now I feel like its a v8. still idles ruff tho. also I checked it from wire to wire ground and got a really low number I think it was .06. then grounded to the body it came up.69 so im guessing I should go off the body ground still?

Sorry...I did wrong readings earlier!
I got 0.135V with my new original Ford TPS sensor.
What is wrong?

Be sure that the reading is correct, double check the test connections etc. If you can get it to read between about .75 and say 1.25 I'd be happy, that should work just fine.

does it really make that much difference? I'll have to jump on it tomorrow and see what I can get out of mine...

does it really make that much difference? I'll have to jump on it tomorrow and see what I can get out of mine...

Dre, I'd check your 94 TPS, that needs to be right at .98 volts. Your 02 truck doesn't need any checking unless you have issues. That's the point, beginning with OBDII(1995+), no TPS adjustment is needed, ever. They are either perfectly fine as they are, or replace them. There is no need for adjustment, they are either good, or bad.

The only people who can benefit from this are owners of 1994 vehicles or older. Regards,

Dre, I'd check your 94 TPS, that needs to be right at .98 volts. Your 02 truck doesn't need any checking unless you have issues. That's the point, beginning with OBDII(1995+), no TPS adjustment is needed, ever. They are either perfectly fine as they are, or replace them. There is no need for adjustment, they are either good, or bad.

The only people who can benefit from this are owners of 1994 vehicles or older. Regards,

Don... I'll have to check that on my 94 and first of all on my customer's 95 OHV... it's running real bad. I replaced the entire intake manifold and all the EGR sh** and it still runs rich and has no power... I'm running a little shop now... get to work on all the Explorers from the area. :D

Very good, stick to the OHV's if you can, the SOHC guys will need valvetrain work.

Update.

Today I did a TPS readout before I would disconnect and clean my PCM contact.
To my surprise I got (for the first time) correct readings: 0.98V.
So I did the cleaning job on the PCM contact with electrical CRC, waited about 15 min, reconnected and did a new TPS readout.

0.16V (as earlier)
Disconnected the TPS and then got 0.10V

Anyone knows where the problem is??

i just did this on my 96 4.0 and i noticed a big difference in throttle response. i replaced the sensor at the same time but before i took the old one off i checked with the volt meter and mine was at 1.01.. put the new one on, didnt have to drill out the holes because they were opened just enough to adjust it, and now its dead on at .96

I checked this on my 99 SOHC and I get a 4.06v reading... When I manually adjust the throttle that 4.06v goes down to about .38v at WOT. Is this not a thing we SOHC guys can do?

The other non-ground wire reads at 5v, so I'm pretty sure I've got the correct wire.

I searched but couldn't find an answer on this. I read some posts by guys with similar engines doing this, but I can't seem to get the same results. My idle isn't *bad* but it does stumble a little and usually idles around ~500RPM. I suppose I could just adjust the idle, but I'd rather try this first.

2000StreetRod,

I followed the directions in that link and I still get the same 4.06v. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I'm just not sure what.

I'll give it another go today and see what I find. Thanks!

I have a 99 with a SOHC. Is there any risk involved with adjusting the TPS. If it would help just a little I would do it but not if it could mess something up.

Please read the whole thread, as has been posted, adjusting the TPS is only for EECIV and older Fords. It does nothing good for 95/96 OBDII and newer Fords.

The TPS should be about 1 volt at idle, not any precise amount at all. It does not matter one bit if it's a little higher or lower. Not one bit.

Unless the TPS idle voltage turns out to be far far from 1 volt, say 0.6 volts or 1.4 volts, leave it the #### alone. If it's far far off, the TPS is bad and must be replaced, not adjusted.

For OBDII and newer, the TPS is either good or bad, it is not adjustable. This myth needs to be in a dumbass section of things to not waste time on. Excuse me for being honest, but stupidity bothers me a lot. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, thanks, I just wanted to clarify that before trying it. There were so many ppl arguing back and forth so i wasnt sure if it could or not. thanks again.

Back