adjust your TPS (another free hp mod) | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

adjust your TPS (another free hp mod)

Very good, the later model cars do well with the stock parts generally. More and more the PCM is the place to hunt for better performance, after good maintenance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please read the whole thread, as has been posted, adjusting the TPS is only for EECIV and older Fords. It does nothing good for 95/96 OBDII and newer Fords.

The TPS should be about 1 volt at idle, not any precise amount at all. It does not matter one bit if it's a little higher or lower. Not one bit.

Unless the TPS idle voltage turns out to be far far from 1 volt, say 0.6 volts or 1.4 volts, leave it the #### alone. If it's far far off, the TPS is bad and must be replaced, not adjusted.

For OBDII and newer, the TPS is either good or bad, it is not adjustable. This myth needs to be in a dumbass section of things to not waste time on. Excuse me for being honest, but stupidity bothers me a lot. Regards,

Okay thanks. I am still curious why my results are so different, even if I'm wasting my time or being stupid. I've read this entire thread and seen others with the same engine as me get readings in the ~1v area and yet I'm getting a consistent ~4v off the TPS.

There should only be three wires, simply 5V, ground, and the one TPS wire you need. Work on those gently until you are very sure that you know which is which. Confirm the other two before concluding you do have an issue with the TPS signal. You may have a bad connection or the meter is not good enough. Work with them until you do get stable readings.

The TPS signal should range from 0-5V only, 1V to not much over 4V typically. It simply needs to be linear for the given throttle setting, no jumping around etc. That's all it does, and the PCM reads it at each start to set the idle voltage. That's why it doesn't matter if it's .8 volts on yours and 1.2 volts on somebody else's. The PCM always sets a new idle point at startup.

Okay. I do have three wires. One is obviously ground. One reads at 5v, the third reads at 4.06v.

My meter is good, it's been with me a long time and I know how to use it.

This is my process:
1. Turn key to "On" (acc) position.
2. Connect meter to ground wire and 4v wire on TPS (with TPS still plugged in)
3. Pull back on throttle cable

When I do this, that 4.06v decreases depending on how far I open the throttle valve. At wide open it reads something like ~0.35v.

EDIT: I know this sounds backwards, but this is what I get.

I think it's time to try a different TPS sensor. Get one from a parts store and check it in the same way. If returning it is a possibility, clean everything well before testing it, and have clean hands then. They are not complicated to put on, the two screws are the hardest part to deal with. Get a good grip when loosening those.

Checked mine yesterday it was 1.13 got it to .98 . It idles better when warmed up and much better pepto it I still have cold idle condition I have to work on but happy with the changes in idle and power.

ok, so just tested mine... 4.9v across the green wire and 5.0 across the orange wire... 2000 V8 wiring harness... help!!

Si

ok, so just tested mine... 4.9v across the green wire and 5.0 across the orange wire... 2000 V8 wiring harness... help!!

Si

If you have a constant voltage on the return signal wire, check that the TPS is installed right. When the sensor goes into the TB, the tabs have to be inserted on the correct side/portion. If it isn't the TB doesn't operate the sensor tabs correctly. Take it off and carefully see how it mounts.

If it is mounted correctly, then the TPS is bad. You should get a variable voltage on the one wire, from 1-5 volts.

ok, so, we re-tested the TPS, with someone that has proper vision (I'm colourblind) and the voltage is 0.88/0.89 so I'm going to have to adjust it...

Si

Colors do not matter. If you have a 3wire TPS, then you only need to tap into the middel wire and one of the other 2. After scanning through the rest of this topic, I see a lot of people don't get it. It has to be mounted on the engine, the key has to be on with engine off. Once you get the voltage below 1.0VDC, then you are good. an Ideal setting would be .985VDC, but no lower then .960VDC. After you have it at a point where you are happy with it, then you will need to disconnet the battery for 10min before you start it up. Clear the memory. When you reconnect the battery and start up, the ECM will learn what the new "Idle" TPS setting is. You are essentually recalibrating the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) position and from that point on, it will "Seem" to have more pep. That's because you dont have to press the pedal down as far as you normally did for it to downshift, everything happens sooner now.

No. For pre OBDII vehicles, like the 95 and older Explorers, the TPS value is important to be very close to those figures.

The EECIV has no TPS idle voltage learning ability, it assumes that the idle voltage will be that magic .98volts or what ever some book says. Those need to be set close to the magic figure, away from that and the engine will run a bit lean or rich, because the PCM assumes the throttle is open farther or less than it is(more or less airflow).

After EECIV, all OBDII and newer Fords, the PCM checks the current TPS voltage at each and every start. It doesn't assume anything like the EECIV does, thus it does extremely well with any idle TPS voltage near 1.0 volt. There is not a magic voltage figure to shoot for that will make any real difference, and the range that it can handle is vastly greater than the older computers.

If you own a 96 or newer Ford, stop wasting time playing with TPS voltage. Check it as needed for troubleshooting, and verify that it's near 1.0volt at idle, and increases linearly up to WOT, near 4.5-5.0 volts. It does not matter if it happens to be .97 volts, .90 volts, 1.1 volts, or 1.15 volts. Stop wasting time messing with a computer sensor which the PCM is fully capable of doing simple math to deal with any value close to 1 volt. It's plain math, and the PCM is smarter than any calculator.

You also don't need to disconnect the battery. The PCM checks the TPS voltage every time you start the car. All you are doing is erasing all of the valuable learning experience that it had accumulated. It takes dozens of new engine start and shut off cycles to relearn everything. If you are a new owner and the previous person was an old man or woman driver, fine, unplug the battery.

It's all up to the owner/driver.
There are tons of people who have done this and had good results. You can go back to the first page and see that, not to mention you can buy the "TPS Adjuster" for Mustangs.

I looked at mine today and it was at 0.75v so I need to adjust it. I had to use a damn impact driver just to get my badly stripped screws off. I was afraid I was going to break it since its plastic. I will drill it out tomorrow.
I would have done it today if it wasn't night time now :p

I adjusted it to 0.95v today, and I noticed that the car idles a little better than before. Also before when I pushed on the accelerator it would push down an inch or so before anything would happen; now however, the car responds immediately :)

I also had a hell of a time getting the second metal retainer off. The first came out so easily and the second I almost ruined it because it wouldn't come out.

Where is the TPS on a V6 Ford Explorer 2004?

Also would this work on a 04 Explorer?

ok so i know you cant adjust newer fords but i need to know if my TPS is bad. i put the key in the on position with the engine off and the green showed 4.06or7 volts and the orange showed 5 volts..does this need to be replaced or did i test it wrong? thanks in advance :)

Im going to do this mod soon, but I have no voltmeter :(((((

Anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question. I cannot seem to remove the TPS sensor from the Throttlebody. When I try to loosen the hex screw it just becomes unbelievably impossible to remove it. It literally takes all my muslce force to twist it half a turn, and im scared of literally balding the screw.

Back