Advice on mod order wanted please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on mod order wanted please!

natskend

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 5.0 XLT
I currently drive a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT with the 5.0. Obviously AWD. I have done the shackles and torsion bar twist and run 31-10.50-15s. I plan to do the following to this truck over the next couple of years:

1. BW4406 transfer case
2. 4.56 gears front and back
3. Maybe a 2" BL if I have to to run
4. 33" or 32" MTs
5. Skid plates for the gas tank and transfer case
6. Rock sliders
7. Lockers

Here are my questions:
How would you guys rank these in priority?
Were is the best place to get gears, skid plates, etc.?
What lockers are recommend (I am thinking ARB but $$$)?
What would you add?

Thanks in advance guys!

Have to do BL before you do sliders unless you don't mind a big gap under them when you BL.

I'd do the TC first to get rid of the viscous coupler AWD TC.

Skid plates can be picked up easy at a junkyard. mine has a factory gas tank and TC skid.

I'd do gears just before tires. And probably wait on the BL until you know if you need it or not. And while the diffs are apart, that's the time to do a locker or LSD. Personally, my Truetracs work great for what I do.

What would I add? A couple solid recovery points front and rear- maybe a winch. The lockers/LSD will only get you more stuck.

Thanks man. Does anyone have input on gears/lockers for the d35 up front? What brands and where to find them? I have the limited slip in the back and would prefer to just add a selectable locker up front but as far as I can tell that's not even an option.

Back