After adjusting suspension the truck still leans, any ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After adjusting suspension the truck still leans, any ideas?

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
My explorer leans at least an inch to the driver's side. I just got done swapping the rear springs, tightening the driver's side torsion bar (a lot) and loosening the passenger side torsion bar (not as much) and the truck is still leaning to the left. Any ideas on what else the problem may be? Could a bent sway bar cause the problem? What about a leak in the ARC system? The ARC system seems to work just fine. When I turn it to Off road mode all the shocks raise up about the same amount. When I switch it to normal mode they all lower by about the same amount. When the truck is off and the switch is left in off-road mode the truck slowly lowers back to normal height.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It usually takes some driving miles to settle. Find some bumps to speed up the process.
Unfortunately, you are likely driving a misaligned truck and wearing tires the more you do.

The tires are close to needing replacement. I'd like to get this worked out before replacing them. :)

Here are some images:

Does not work here?

Driver Side Bolt to ground measurement:
JfQYCjC.jpg

Passenger Side Bolt to ground measurement:
zE4WJTZ.jpg

Driver Side Torsion Bolt:
Jn1xPW7.jpg

Passenger Side Torsion Bolt:
Bg0D1NS.jpg

Driver Side Tire to fender:
3ZYOdXC.jpg

Passenger Side Tire to fender:
h5FAkVg.jpg

Go drop the front end off a curb and re measure. You need to "pop" the front end pretty hard after doing torsion key adjustments.

And going off the fenders will always be a bit different side to side. How does it look from the rear?

The driver side seems to be the same height it was before after running off a few curbs and hitting some speed bumps at speed, but the passenger side finally dropped down.

The passenger side front, passenger side rear and driver side front are all equal height now. The driver side rear is 1/8 inch lower than the rest... but that's with about 120 lbs of fuel and 30 pounds of tools all on the driver's side rear right now. I don't think I'm going to be able to get it much better than that right now.

Doe anyone know what the stock height is supposed to be as measured from the ground to the control arm frame bolt?

Tire inflation-wear could account for 1/8" difference. ;)

If you'll notice, the rear sway bar links are placed differently side to side. The driver side link is set lower than passenger side to help lift the driver side. Swaybar axle bushings, and for that matter, the endlinks might actually play a role in this too.

If the rear looks level, you can actauly measure the difference from the ground to each endlink. The driver side is about 3/4" to 1" lower on every explorer I have seen.

Correct me if I am wrong here guys.

Tire inflation-wear could account for 1/8" difference. ;)

If you'll notice, the rear sway bar links are placed differently side to side. The driver side link is set lower than passenger side to help lift the driver side. Swaybar axle bushings, and for that matter, the endlinks might actually play a role in this too.

If the rear looks level, you can actauly measure the difference from the ground to each endlink. The driver side is about 3/4" to 1" lower on every explorer I have seen.

Correct me if I am wrong here guys.
Thanks, I've searched an explanation for the mounting height difference for years. How much do the front and
rear end links affect ride height? Rear sway bar ends are also different heights and the differential is off center.

RearCenterBright1.jpg

I've searched an explanation for the mounting height difference for years.

The explanation is this.

" who the hell designed this with the transfer case weight, gas tank and driver all on the same side?boy's-we gots a problem"

"I know!!! lets make the front torsion bars unequal length!!!"

Ok, that helped-any other bright ideas?

"Now let's move the rear sway-bar link down, causing a bind which will "lift" the driver side"

"Genius!!"

If the front swaybar bushings are bad on one side I can see how this would also cause a bit of leaning.

Ahhh, good times eh?

Would using the 1" longer ST rear passenger link correct the "natural" lean on the '95-'01 Gen 2 Explorer's then?
Seems it would cause more issues bending and binding the SB and throwing the geometry off further. Just thinking.

Any idea why the rear drivers side SHOCK MOUNTS are ALSO lower than the passenger side? :scratch:

Top- Stock ST (Moog K80788) Bottom- Stock 95-01 Explorer (Moog K80139)
K80788K80139.jpg

Back