Aftermarket Exhaust - blipping the throttle response | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Exhaust - blipping the throttle response

Kyson

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Red Adrenalin V8 AWD
So I went with a Magnaflow set up today (14416 Resonator and 14336 muffler). The install looks incredibly clean - they did a great job. It is much louder than I expected (perhaps I needed a larger resonator) but the sound is fantastic.

At any rate pre-install when I blipped the throttle in neutral/park the revs would rise and then fall as one would expect. Post-install the revs rise but seem to fall very slowly - they almost stay at the highest rev point for a second or two before slowly coming back down rev range.

Has anyone else experienced this, and must one disconnect the battery for the ECU to "relearn" the system now that it has less back pressure? Or does an aftermarket tune address this?

Its not troublesome, just different than it was.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it took a tune on my Mustang to alleviate this problem. I'll wait for someone with more experience to answer on the ST.

I know the directions on the catback systems state to remove the negative battery terminal while installing the system. I would try removing your negative cable for 5 minutes. Then go out and do several WOT runs.

I know the directions on the catback systems state to remove the negative battery terminal while installing the system. I would try removing your negative cable for 5 minutes. Then go out and do several WOT runs.

I went ahead and did this exactly and it greatly improved the response. It is behaving much more like I would expect it to now.

Thanks!

Hey Kyson - Hate to bogart your thread. However, I am looking to basically do the same thing on my 08 ST. Did you buy just those two parts, or was there anything additional that you needed? Was this for an 08? No problems with the fit, etc? What about tips? If anyone else has any input, much appreciated.

Again, sorry for the threadjacking, but I figured people like talking about their new stuff....so talk away!

No worries.

I simply ordered the two part numbers listed above and had my shop weld them in place of the current resonator and muffler combination. I used the stock tail pipe, so no pieces needed there. They also used all the factory mount points and factory Ford hangers for the two points that had been on the stock exhaust components.

Mine is a 2008, no problems with fit as the shop did a fantastic job installing them.

No worries.

I simply ordered the two part numbers listed above and had my shop weld them in place of the current resonator and muffler combination. I used the stock tail pipe, so no pieces needed there. They also used all the factory mount points and factory Ford hangers for the two points that had been on the stock exhaust components.

Mine is a 2008, no problems with fit as the shop did a fantastic job installing them.

Thanks a lot for the info. I am kind of up in the air on doing this job or a full cat-back setup. I am not a welder, so if I do this one, someone is doing it for me. Cat-back, I can do myself. Darn choices! Although I am leaning towards your setup. I can get the two parts out the door at magnaflowplanet.com for about $120. Figure $80 to hang them. Not bad considering the full cat-back setup will put you back $400 or so.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Mine does the same I am going to try this tonight.

Magnaflow system

How difficult do you think it will be to adapt a regular ST Magnaflow (16679) system to a STA, since the main difference should be only the rear exit vs side exit?

If you have an 02 your in the wrong forum this is 2007 and up. However I would imagine not to difficult because everything would be the same except the last pipe exiting the rear. Any competent shop could cut and weld to make it exit the rear.

I have an Explorer 2002, but my question is for my Adrenalin, they list the system for the Sport Trac 2008 excl. Adrenalin, that is the reason for the question.

Ok well my thoughts are if you have to cut the exhaust might as well save your self some money and just keep the stock system. It cost me 140.00 in parts and my friend welded the muffler in for free.

eppd00

I was tossing around either the Gibson complete cat back system or the Magnaflow cat back for the STA. I stopped by the local muffler shop with the photos and specs for both systems and the muffler guy says he can reshape the side exit tailpipe to meet the rear portion of the stock tailpipe tips.
I was leaning toward the Gibson system as it is 3" and the Magnaflow is 2 1/2 like the stock. I will advise when I do it and let you know how it works.

With this motor the 2.5 inch stock system is more than enough. I do not think it is worth buying a cat back only to have to cut and weld the back half. A magnaflow muffler 80.00 dollars stainless steal exhaust pipe about the same. Cut out the resonator and muffler then weld in the magnaflow and ss pipe. Thats what I did and it sounds great and at a fraction of the cost of a catback.

I have the Gibson cat-back on my '08 V6. It comes with a nice polished stainless steel tip. It is 2.5'' pipe, the OE system was 2.25" (I think, maybe it was 2.0") although the tip is 3". Maybe the V8 system is different, I don't know.
We did have to cut the OE tailpipe to remove it. The Gibson slid right on, no muss no fuss, except that we had to scrounge up some shorter flange bolts and springs for where it bolts to the cat. The shoulders on the OE bolts and the springs were too long to work with the Gibson system's flange.
I took it to my bud's shop to install, with the truck on a lift and me and him working on it, it may have taken as long as a half-hour to install. Basically it's a slam-dunk. I did have to tinker with it for a day or two afterward to keep the tailpipe from hitting the rear diff but that wasn't a big deal.
I did rough it all up with sandpaper, wash it with Dawn, and coat it with silver hi-temp paint before installation. I did not pop for the more expensive stainless system.
Now I'll get 22-23 mpg on the highway if I keep it to 65 mph. City mpg is no different.

Yes the V-8 is 2.5 inch.

The Gibson for the V8 is 3" and the tip is 3.5"

I removed the muffler and resonator and installed the Flowmaster 50 series and it sounds great. Not too loud , very little drone and sounds aggressive. Just like it should have from the factory!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no way our trucks need 3 inch exhaust my SC cobra has 2.5 inch magnaflow.

Back