Aftermarket gauge placement ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket gauge placement ideas?

deathbypsi

Reaction score
City, State
Lambertville Mich
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 B2
I was wanting to see what some of you guys have come up with for mounting aftermarket gauges in a 1st gen dash. I picked up oil and water 2 1/16th gauges but just cant figure out a good way or place to mount them so they dont look like poo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the F-150 Column Mount can be made to be used in the Explorer.

And you always have the A-pillar mounts.

Ryan

I stuck my tranny guage in the corne, by the drivers A piller... from inside it looks good... outside... serious poo factor.

Who makes a first gen a-pillar pod? That would be my favorate choice.

If you guys have any pix please post em up.

I have some good ole Autometer black 2 1/16 cups that I was thinking about mountig to the flat spot on the dash above the glovebox pointed towards the driver. Not sure if it would end up looking good or not.

gauge mounts...

In my 99 Explorer Sport I used a pair of gauge pods to mount the oil pressure, water temp, battery voltage and fuel pressure gauges to the a-pillar...

In my gen 1 Ranger, no one made a gauge pod so I used the black gauge cups you referred to for gauge mounting...

100_0290.jpg

Who makes a first gen a-pillar pod? That would be my favorate choice.

If you guys have any pix please post em up.

I have some good ole Autometer black 2 1/16 cups that I was thinking about mountig to the flat spot on the dash above the glovebox pointed towards the driver. Not sure if it would end up looking good or not.

eh.. i dont think that would look that great at all, autometer a-pillar pods would be the way to go, part numbers are 15308 and 15309 i beleive.

Thats awesome guys! Just what I was looking for. I will pick up the 15308 today.

I noticed the box says fits 93-02 explorers, what the difference between the 91-92 and 93-up explorers?

I have mine on top of the dash in the middle, angled towards me.

91 & 92 ARE NOT the exact same. They are screwed in, using 1 or 2 screws on the A-pillar. Starting in 93 they went to the 'faster to assemble' method of clipping onto the A-pillar at the Pinch Weld. I retrofitted `93 A-pillars into my `92 by shaving a couple 3/16" x 2" areas on the tip of the Pinch Weld, to make room for the Gold Irradiated Clips that attach the plastic trim to the body.

Ryan

Here is the 15309.

It's been repainted and matches the dash better.

Attachments

• DSCN2461.JPG
    DSCN2461.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 777

91 & 92 ARE NOT the exact same. They are screwed in, using 1 or 2 screws on the A-pillar. Starting in 93 they went to the 'faster to assemble' method of clipping onto the A-pillar at the Pinch Weld. I retrofitted `93 A-pillars into my `92 by shaving a couple 3/16" x 2" areas on the tip of the Pinch Weld, to make room for the Gold Irradiated Clips that attach the plastic trim to the body.

Ryan
Well I wish I would have got this message a few days earlier! And you are 100% correct. My 90B2 has screw on pillars and the Autometer pod I got today will not work.:thumbdwn:

Picked up two gauge cups and will just dash mount them now.

Why will it not work?

I got an a pillar pod for a ranger and I have the screw in style pillers and it still works great.

..And mine was a perfect fit for my 91...:dunno:

...I know there are several others on here with them...:scratch:

In fact it looks hella better now.

Covers up the ugly screws...

I used a gen 2 explorer pillar mount, it was really close!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep. First and second gen pillars have the same cross section.

Back