zoso1030

Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
128_0067.jpg
128_0069.jpg

I bought an air intake for my 02 4.0 recently and I fit but I'm pretty sure something is missing, the part where the filter is just falls down since there is nothing to hold it up. Right now I just left the stock bottom part of the air filter there so that the new one doesn't fall down, but I don't like so I was wondering if any of yall knew if I can order a part for this or if I can just make something here at home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make your own. take a bracket and bend it under neath the hose clamp for the air filter and tighten it back down. then bend the bracket and reattach it over by the fender. when you remove the bottom of the box you will see where to bolt it at. you can use a universal exhaust hanger although that is a little heavy duty to hold just that filter. just use some "figureoutness".;)

ok thanks alot :biggthump

if you're good at fabricating you can get maybe a 14 inch long piece of metal and some sort of half circle, either a piece of metal or big PVC.

the metal can be screwed in one of the screws holding up your alternator or whatever is close by, it should have washers so you can just remove one of the washers in place of this new metal.

Bend the end of the metal and screw through the PVC positioned under your CAI.

That's a nice home made way of making what K&N gave me for my intake.

only difference is mine is a 4.6 V8, so the positioning is slightly different but it's the same concept really.

Another modification would be to box in your new intake to keep it away from your hot intake temperatures.

This can be done with metal or plastic shaped around your air filter.

Just to show how much cooler air helps your engine, my intake runs behind my right headlight. My programmer shows intake temps:

With my headlight in, in MIAMI weather.. the air temp was 98 degrees and dropped down to 94 degrees in motion.

with my headlight removed, letting cooler air to be rushed in directly onto my K&N intake.. the air temp was 92 degrees dropping down to 83 degrees in motion.

That alone changes my 1/8 mile drag times by .100 of a second.

I dont have my intake completely sectioned off from the engine, but i do have the included shroud from K&N, minus the gasket which fell off =(

best of luck to you!

if you're good at fabricating you can get maybe a 14 inch long piece of metal and some sort of half circle, either a piece of metal or big PVC.

the metal can be screwed in one of the screws holding up your alternator or whatever is close by, it should have washers so you can just remove one of the washers in place of this new metal.

Bend the end of the metal and screw through the PVC positioned under your CAI.

That's a nice home made way of making what K&N gave me for my intake.

only difference is mine is a 4.6 V8, so the positioning is slightly different but it's the same concept really.

Another modification would be to box in your new intake to keep it away from your hot intake temperatures.

This can be done with metal or plastic shaped around your air filter.

Just to show how much cooler air helps your engine, my intake runs behind my right headlight. My programmer shows intake temps:

With my headlight in, in MIAMI weather.. the air temp was 98 degrees and dropped down to 94 degrees in motion.

with my headlight removed, letting cooler air to be rushed in directly onto my K&N intake.. the air temp was 92 degrees dropping down to 83 degrees in motion.

That alone changes my 1/8 mile drag times by .100 of a second.

I dont have my intake completely sectioned off from the engine, but i do have the included shroud from K&N, minus the gasket which fell off =(

best of luck to you!

do you have a picture of it?

Here are the installation instructions of a K&N intake for a 4.0L v6

http://www.knfilters.com/instructions/57-2537_inst.pdf

It shows a picture of the part and where it screws in.

(Picture 13 shows the exact part they use)

Hopefully you can use this to fabricate the part they use to hold up the intake.

I saw on some other ones that the actual heat shield has holes at the bottom and seem to screw in to the holes made by the stock intake box.. that seems like a more simple method if you can get it to work.

Good Luck!

hey just to point out that flex pipe that comes off your throttle body is very restictive if possible id suggest replacing that with a more free flowing pipe or rubber turn pipe... and it wont look so Advance Auto bodge job... but other then that looks great

I have to agree with SLAMMEDX...

get a smooth rounded 90 degree bent metal pipe or rubber hose for the bend in your intake... what you have on there now will " pocket " air in those rings and restrict flow... but otherwise, well done !

Back