• Register Today It's free!

Air intake ?'s

Eric1249

Reaction score
City, State
Waukesha WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I am starting to looking into getting new exhaust. I am pretty sure I am going with Gibson. I need to replace my air filter so I was wondering if I should get a different air intake or just go with a typical K&N filter? What are the advantages of going with a different intake? I don't to spend a ton of money on it. (too many other repairs needed) What kind should I go with and where can I get the best prices?

Thanks
Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am starting to looking into getting new exhaust. I am pretty sure I am going with Gibson. I need to replace my air filter so I was wondering if I should get a different air intake or just go with a typical K&N filter? What are the advantages of going with a different intake? I don't to spend a ton of money on it. (too many other repairs needed) What kind should I go with and where can I get the best prices?

Thanks
Eric

I got a k&n drop in from amazon for $30...
Remove the silencer to add to airflow and a lil sound....(behind headlight)
It was worth every penny got my almost 1mpg actual increase and has a nice deep sound above 3k. The intake kits are pricey and limited plus ultimately the throttle body and intake manifold are only 68mm...

Thanks. I think that just might be the way to go. Is there a link on here to remove the silencer? (I havent looked yet)

Ive got a volant CAI that is a cone filter, new intake tube, and a higher flow box. Im atually looking to sell if you're looking to buy. With just the intake I noticed a new sound, and better power all around.

Triton8273 said:
All you do is pull it out.

That doesn't always work.

A cone intake under the hood is a hot air intake. I don't care what anyone on here claims to have gained, but they're pulling hot under-the-hood air into the engine. Ford engineers are pretty smart guys and the intake is well designed. Wilson's advice is perfect.

A cone intake under the hood is a hot air intake. I don't care what anyone on here claims to have gained, but they're pulling hot under-the-hood air into the engine. Ford engineers are pretty smart guys and the intake is well designed. Wilson's advice is perfect.

What if mine has a box around it to keep the hot air from the engine out, and a larger hole where the stock intake's was, plus one facing down that doubles as a drain?

What if mine has a box around it to keep the hot air from the engine out, and a larger hole where the stock intake's was, plus one facing down that doubles as a drain?

The volant is the best I've seen.. only one I know of with a heat shield to make it cold air..
Hot air is not as bad as you think... Look at egr.. plus the hotter the air the less dense thus requiring less fuel to power...cold air like true cold air isn't really needed for a dd though it is appealing...

If I bought one it'd be the volant for sure,But like said the throttle body and intake Will not change and still be your most restrictive point...imho I'd get a new tb and maf to try and get some gains even though the manifold Will still be 68mm.. f it my intake setup be fine as is...

Back