• Register Today It's free!

Airbag Light Always On

timmyt101

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
I've read a lot of posts here about the airbag light and I'm going to try cleaning the big yellow connector under the front passenger seat (as suggested many times here).

The light is always solid - no blink codes. It's a 2007 XLT with the 4.6 motor.

Questions
- disconnect the battery? If yes, should I wait any certain length of time after reconnecting before I start the vehicle?
- For those that have tried this, did you have to loosen the seat and tilt/tip it to get to the connector? No matter how far forward or back I move the seat, doesn't look like I'll be getting my hands in there. Not a power seat.

Thanks for your replies/help/suggestions.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a code but you need a code reader that can pull airbag codes. An old dying battery can also cause airbag lights.

Mine comes up when I leave something on the seat or I have it slide back all the way back, it's very sensitive.

Also, a weak battery will do that as well.

Resurrecting...

I disconnected the yellow plug under the passenger seat, cleaned, added a little dielectric lube and reconnected to no avail. Spent the $$$ to have Ford diagnose here's what the printout reads:

DSGEN VEHICLE NEEDS THE RIGHT FRONT OCS SENSOR/RAIL REPLACED FOR AIRBAG ISSUE
PARTS: 84280 DEAG REC. RH SEAT OCS RAIL INBOARD CUSTOMER DECLINED REPAIRS

Customer declined repairs because the quote was $1400!!! Is this for real or bad dealership? Anything I can do/replace myself? Try another dealer?

It translates to "Occupant classification sensor (OCS)" located on the seat rail.

The part # should be 14B422 for the sensor, and its $ 267 if I am looking at the right part.

Or there is one on ebay for $ 100, worth a shot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORDLINCOLN...ash=item3aee6ff6ff:g:5gcAAOSwFWVZm4sq&vxp=mtr

You probably need to take the seat apart or remove the cushion, but $ 1400 is still high, even if you add 2 hours of labor.

Unless they know something we don't.

Timmyt101 - did you start the process of getting the new sensor installed?

When someone sits in my front passenger seat the Passenger Airbag is Off indicator goes out. BUT as soon as the person (over 150 lbs) clicks the seatbelt, the Passenger Airbag is Off lights back up. I can't tell if I have the same sensor issue or a seatbelt issue Yet. My obd scanner doesn't pull Airbag codes.

I'm just starting to tackle this matter.

I haven't done anything yet. The Passenger Airbag is Off light is lit when I start the vehicle, but goes out right away, no matter who or what is/is not in the seat - always off.

One thing I am concerned about replacing it myself - does anything need to be recalibrated after installation? Obviously, this is something I wouldn't be able to do. Also, I can see the part in question when looking underneath the seat and could R&R without taking the seat apart. So, now I'm wondering if there's more to it than the $200 part plus labor. I'm thinking about calling a couple of collision centers to see if they would diagnose/repair any cheaper than Ford.

Back