Airbag light on

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi Guys
My driver seat needed replaced. I found a seat the same color as the old one. The seats have airbags in them. I replace the seat tonight and now my light is on. If I unconnect the battery for a little bit then reconnect it will the reset it? I probably should’ve unconnect the battery before I started.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the nice thing about these newer cars is if there is a dash light on there is a code that can be read by a scanner that can read that specific system. Without a the code you can only guess at it. Now a common problem that can turn on a airbag light is a dead or dying battery. I don't think that is the problem you have since you replaced the seat without disconnecting the battery.

Most likely when the seat got unplugged the system noticed it and set off a code. If that is the case get it scanned and erase the code. I do not know if disconnecting the battery will turn the light off or not.

Not all scanners can read airbag codes but you can get cheaper ones that can. Elm327 is the cheapest adapter you can get its under $30. I use an obdlink mx and the forscan app on my phone (best and cheapest obd2 tool I ever purchased) and it was just under $100 for the adapter and purching the app.

Hi Rcflyer330

I will get a scan reader and get it read. I will let you know what I find out. It be Thursday I work 12 hours tomorrow.

Thank you

I swapped all my seats out for leather ones I grabbed at the wrecking yard and never disconnected the battery and no airbag lights ..... I would check the plug to see if its dirty and that the wires are in the same pin out locations what year did you get the replacement seat..... my 2007 had no issues with the 2006 seats

Hi
The came out of a 2008 Explorer. I will check the wiring out. My explorer is a 2006.

Thank you

Back