• Register Today It's free!

Alignment Issues

kevinm120

Reaction score
City, State
Lemoore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for my explorers issues. I have a 99 explorer that has 20 inch rims and a 3 inch lowering kit and I was told in order to do an alignment properly i needed a caster and camber kit installed b/c every 500 or so miles my front wheels sag inwards. i have done a lot of mechanical work to the engine but never suspension. is this an easy install or more than i bargained for. PLEASE HELP ME OUT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you go 500 miles and your front end loses the camber settings, then the camber adjusters are not being tightened enough to hold them in place. Next time it is aligned properly you can tighten them a bit more or weld them in place.

A camber kit would be required if the alignment shop is not able to bring the camber into spec with the current shims (likely do to your 3" drop?), it sounds like they are able to align it and then it loses alignment from what you describe?

Thanks for that and you are right they can not bring it into spec. how difficult would a camber/caster kit be to install. i am not a professional but i know my way around my car as far as maintenance goes

welcome aboard

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for my explorers issues. I have a 99 explorer that has 20 inch rims and a 3 inch lowering kit and I was told in order to do an alignment properly i needed a caster and camber kit installed b/c every 500 or so miles my front wheels sag inwards. i have done a lot of mechanical work to the engine but never suspension. is this an easy install or more than i bargained for. PLEASE HELP ME OUT

I would think with that much drop you would have to install the camber/caster kit prior to getting it aligned. Are you saying they got it in spec without the kit and then later it came out of spec? If it's coming out of spec, check the balljoints. The kit itself is relatively easy to install. It's just a matter of unbolting the upper control arm and replacing the nut/bolt. Also, keep in mine, with a 3" drop the Ford Alignment Specs won't actually work, so the shop can't go off those.

Back