• Register Today It's free!

ALL my shocks are bad..

Dylansav

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities,Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I went to the mechanics yesterday and the guy told me all of my shocks are bad and that he can do the job for between $400-$500 bucks. They guys said that they will last a while but they should replaced sooon. But, as cheap as I am, I really want to do the job myself.

How hard is it to replace all of the shocks on a 98' explorer 4D 4W 4.0L SOHC?

What kind of tools do you need to do the job? (I always end up grabbing the butter knife when working on the car...)

What are the best shocks to use if you are planning to do some off-roading but don't have a lot of money all at one time :D

thanks again for any help or advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You basically need a set of sockets and flat wrenches to do the job. It's not a hard job and CERTAINLY shouldn't be $400-500. You can get decent shocks for $20-40 each.

You basically need a set of sockets and flat wrenches to do the job. It's not a hard job and CERTAINLY shouldn't be $400-500. You can get decent shocks for $20-40 each.

thanks again JDraper- $160 compared to $500...

I'm going to do some research on here and get set up for the day hehe

Thats wayyyyy too much for shocks,
You can get a pretty good set of shocks for around $150 and they're easy to install,
or if you went to a shop It shouldnt be more than an hour labor so $50 or $60.
There's a how-to to change shocks on here somewhere just search for it, I used it and its fairly easy.
As for brands, rancho's are good and pretty inexpensive, im happy with mine.

EBAY!! lol i just got 4 sensa trac shocks for around 60 bucks shipped... guy had an ex and it died before he could get the shocks on and i was the lucky sob to find them... they were all new in the box... for the price i couldnt pass them up our 91 we just got needs them horribly.. not the best shocks but i priced them before i bid @ napa and they were like 40+ a piece... anyway it makes a big difference and good luck on your search...

Easy job. I had issues with my rusted bolts and actually had to cut one off, so I would suggest you soaking the bolts down in PB blaster the night or so before you do the job. Should be a snap if you have a mechanical bone in your body.

thanks for the help guys,

I was talking to my dad who was a natural backyard mechanic and he told me to, like you guys said, just soak them down with liquid wrench or WD40 for a day or so.

As for the brand of shocks we're looking at, we're thinking monroe shocks. What do you guys think?

Just don't cheap out, you get what you pay for...

I think we all sometime or another regretted paying the few bucks cheaper.

-mc

^^^ right and on some stuff its not as important, but on the shocks a WISH i wouldn't have wasted the $60 or $70 bucks on these cheap crappy shocks, get the good stuff

Back