All Terrain / Off Road Tires | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Terrain / Off Road Tires

Cool thanks I thought so with a 33s I’m just gathering idea I’ve seen a couple pictures but no real detail. I am leaning more toward All terrain was just curious if anyone had done an off road on an explorer.

I had NITTO Trail Grapplers on mine in the same size 265/70r17 until they wore out, and with the size of the tread, I would have rubbed if I went any bigger. Right now I have Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrains. And I could probably get away with a 285/70 due to having a 4.5 inch backspace but the price goes up with the tire size lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any one have any suggestions for the 255/50-20 factory size? Im looking for something more agressive than the stock ones. AT3's? Not wanting to sacrifice everything, hoping someone has some input on them. 2015 Explorer.

Gonna bump up this thread too since it helped me out. I just bought a 2016 XLT and worked out a tire upgrade with the deal. Went with Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015, in 265/60R18 based on the reports in this and other threads of no rubbing. And yes, I understand they are just outside the recommended 3% at 3.2%, but .2% is negligible IMO. On the flat streets, there is no rubbing at all even at full lock. But I noticed two times where they did rub a little, both times the front of the car was up higher and turning right, like coming out of a driveway on an incline to a road. This would likely happen in off-road situations too. Haven't really done much investigating or many miles on them yet, I'm not positive where it's rubbing but I have a guess. I'll update once I figure it out or if it continues to be a problem.

Oh, and don't mind the grease on the wheel, they discovered one of the CV axle boots was ripped and flung grease all over the wheel and well. They still changed the tires, but now there's grease everywhere. It's totally unrelated to the tires btw.
IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Hello everyone, got a nail in my tire that isn't repairable.... So time for new tires....im looking at Goodyear Duratracs...

Only issue is the closest size to my stock tire is a 255/55/20. I know this is slightly larger than the 3%, but the difference seems negligible. My concern is the actual tire fitting, or will I have to do some kind of lift?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, got a nail in my tire that isn't repairable.... So time for new tires....im looking at Goodyear Duratracs...

Only issue is the closest size to my stock tire is a 255/55/20. I know this is slightly larger than the 3%, but the difference seems negligible. My concern is the actual tire fitting, or will I have to do some kind of lift?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't believe anyone has made that specific change but you may be okay with that size. It is what the 6th gen is using.

Peter

I ended up going with Nitto Ridge Grapplers 265/50/20, and am loving them so far!!

ps4UB6F.jpg

v7kBJmb.jpg

wI62qxq.jpg

I promise I searched extensively to find a discussion about this. What are the biggest all terrain tires I can put on a stock suspension 2016 XLT 4WD ( default 245/60/18).

Can I search for tires larger than 245/60?

The Open Country A/T III seem to be the best option I can find… but I can’t confirm they’ll fit even though they are 245/60/18.

Please advise!

Try reading through this thread. Lots of people have posted about their experience with different wheel and tire combinations:

I promise I searched extensively to find a discussion about this. What are the biggest all terrain tires I can put on a stock suspension 2016 XLT 4WD ( default 245/60/18).

Can I search for tires larger than 245/60?

The Open Country A/T III seem to be the best option I can find… but I can’t confirm they’ll fit even though they are 245/60/18.

Please advise!
Your thread was merged with this one.
When moving to a bigger tire you should not the maximum diameter variance compared to OEM should not exceed 3%, Are you looking at bigger tires on your current wheels or also changing them? If the OPen Country are the same size as your OEM, then you shouldn't have any issues.
A 255/60R18 and a 235/65R18 should also fit. 245/60 R18 vs 235/65 R18 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

Peter

According to a few threads on here, 265/60/18 will fit on a 5th gen that normally takes 245/60/18, but I haven’t found any solid photo evidence of some knobby tires like the above on a stick 5th gen.

I’m having Pep boys order these for me because they have the knobby aesthetic, decent reviews, well rated, and are not much more expensive than basic highway tires. I just want a second opinion that they will fit without rubbing.

According to a few threads on here, 265/60/18 will fit on a 5th gen that normally takes 245/60/18, but I haven’t found any solid photo evidence of some knobby tires like the above on a stick 5th gen.

I’m having Pep boys order these for me because they have the knobby aesthetic, decent reviews, well rated, and are not much more expensive than basic highway tires. I just want a second opinion that they will fit without rubbing.
As mentioned in my previous reply, as a rule, tires should not be more than a 3% difference from OEM. These are just over at 3.2% so I think you should be okay. The tire size is the determining factor. I don't believe the type of tread really matters. 245/60 R18 vs 265/60 R18 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

1659724256724.png

Peter

As mentioned in my previous reply, as a rule, tires should not be more than a 3% difference from OEM. These are just over at 3.2% so I think you should be okay. The tire size is the determining factor. I don't believe the type of tread really matters. 245/60 R18 vs 265/60 R18 Tire Size Comparison Table with Graphic Visualization (inch difference)

View attachment 432786

Peter
Ok cool, I’m going to pep boys on Sunday but they said if I they rub I’m out of luck they don’t give refunds once the tire is on the vehicle…..

I guess I could ask them to try one front tire first to test if it rubs?? Then one rear tire to make sure that doesn’t rub?

I’m less concerned with the safety of a 3.2% difference I just want to be sure there’s enough clearance in the stock wheel wells to clear these.

Hoping for the best I encourage your feedback

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The generally accepted maximum diameter variance from OEM is 3%. The change you propose is 1.3%, so yes it is doable.
255/50-R20 vs 265/50-R20 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator | Tacoma World
The Forum has a 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be very helpful. There are existing threads on changing tires sizes.
Your thread has also been moved to this one.

Peter
I have the same 255/50 R20, is better to go for 255/60 R 20 al terrain or for 265/50 R20? also, if any one knows about the road noise issue for both options.

i mean if it fits the 255 60 will be bigger thats bigger than a 31 and i think theyre very very close in width. just make sure your trans etc can handle it since that has gotta be >3% increase. and noise wont differ w/ size as much as it will differ with tread pattern brand etc. for example, general grabber AT before very quiet toyo OCATIII loud (not MT loud but loud for an AT)

I have the same 255/50 R20, is better to go for 255/60 R 20 al terrain or for 265/50 R20? also, if any one knows about the road noise issue for both options.
If you use the Tire Size Calculator I linked above, you will find that the 255/60R20 is NOT a good fit at a 6.7% diameter difference. The 265/50/20 whereas the 265/50R20 is well within the 3% range at 1.3%.
As far as road noise, you can always read reviews from actual users on tire sites like Tire Rack. It is also going to depend on the brand of tire that you decide to buy.

Peter

Back