alternator from 2nd gen to 1st gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

alternator from 2nd gen to 1st gen

yeah61794

Reaction score
City, State
Savanna, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
I was wondering if it is possible to switch the alternator from a second gen to a first gen, I have a second gen alternator laying around because I replaced it thinking it was bad but in reality the master fuse had fallen out, the big like 150 amp fuse. I was wondering if I could swap it into my first gen explorer because it is higher amperage and I plan to offroad and possibly get a winch and more heavy duty lights, in which a higher amperage alternator would be good. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your Limited should have a high output one in it already. I beleive that was part of the package. I don't know if the newer one will swap over or not, but if the connectors are the same i imagine you could do it with no problems.

What amp rating is the 2nd gen? If its close try it out and see how it works. I don't see there being to many differences.

thanks and I am thinking the second Gen has the 130 amp in it, i thought all first gens had the 95 amp alternators? I will have to look into that further, thanks again for the response!

The Limited's and Eddie's had higher amp alternators, 130 I believe, but im not 100% sure, I asked something like this a long time ago, but yes they will swap, I did it from my 92 to my 95 temporarily until I sold it and swapped back lol

ok lol, if it is the higher amperage than there is no need to swap and I can use the spare alternator for another project of mine, thanks

Back