Do you think 1st Gens will become classics? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you think 1st Gens will become classics?

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
Do you think that 1st gen Explorers will become sought after and the price will rise? With my experience with 1st gens, they are solidly built. You can get a decent, running 1st Gen for 1000. Thats a great price for someones first car. I purchased mine last year for 500. Plus parts are cheap and plentiful. I remember when 60s Mustangs were all the rage. I bought a 67 Fastback and paid a high price in the 90s. Then prices for 70s went up. When I purchased my 91 Notchback, I paid 1500. I was recently pricing 5.0 Fox Body Mustangs and prices have climbed higher, specifically for the ones with the square lights. Same with Camaros. 80s Irocs were cheap once. Right now the only cheap Camaro or Trans Am that you can find are the 90s F Body. Weve all seen what has happened to the prices of old Dodges. Wondering if I should buy a few 1st Gens while I can still pick them up for 1000 or less.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it. The Explorer is no sports car, and the only mainstream enthusiast that would consider it is the off-road enthusiast which usually will go for a Cherokee instead (TTB and transmission are not marks in the Explorer's favor, nor is the lack of aftermarket support).

The first gen Explorer is about at its lowest point in value right now I think. The majority I see driving around are welfare rides that are on their last legs, waiting for a transmission failure to doom them to a scrapyard. Us Explorer fans are truly in the minority and the general public sees them as disposable transportation like everything else these days. I don't expect values for these trucks to ever rise, honestly, though they are probably stable now since a solid and clean one is still worth the "old workhorse" average market price.

I realize this post has a negative tone but it's the way I see it. I love my Explorers though and don't mind having something uncommon. I like getting compliments from the average joe on the street that can't believe a 94 model truck has such great looking original paint. It just doesn't compute in most people's minds that a 20 year old truck could be well maintained enough to look awesome, when their personal vehicular appliance is trashed by the time it is paid off.

Back in Europe, I owned a lot of "classics". Most of them actually gained some value, but only within a very limited circle of enthusiasts.

I like my Navajo's design - not to forget how solidly built it is - and think it is a classic. However, I'm about the only one.

Classic is always a bit in the eye of the beholder.

I don't know about anywhere else, but for Oklahoma any vehicle over 20 years is a classic and could qualify for classic tags if one wanted.

I like the old square bodies. I'm amazed when I still see them going. I see one in the junkyard with no damage and I think either a head gasket or transmission issue sent it there.

I'm eyeballing a 91 4x4, 5 speed with manual hubs to replace my 2wd I currently have. Best part is my 92 is a 5 speed, so I have access to lots of replacement stuff without going to the parts store.

20+ years and people are still keeping them on the road, and are still modifying them. So yes they are classics :D

I dont know about states but in Finland i think nothing "new generation" usa car will not become classic. 1991-> caprice is maybe maybe not but i dont think naa not even it.

Now is slowly 80's cars getting classic position. Olders are that.

But i think same. When 90's comes, car werent so cool and eggy than 80's and later.

In usa cars i think they come more handy and smarter then.

Its nice to start efi engine on winter and everything is pretty well thinked in cabin.

Not like 79 bronco with carb and hand choke.

I agree with all of you. I see this forum growing everyday and I imagine one day, people will look at the Ex as something more then just basic transportation.

That's sad, all the cashed in cars are American and 6 of the 10 bought are Asian. Also pretty sure the insight doesn't use an atickson cycle engine. Just "mimics" it

The explorer will probably gain some value, but most will be inflation..

In reference to cash for clunkers:

If anyone offloaded an Explorer for a Prius they should be beaten publicly. If someone simply owns one for efficiency and still own an Explorer for fun, you are forgiven.

I was given a PT Cruiser from my dad, who was the original owner and all maintenance has been done, but I'm NOT giving up my Explorer. The PT isn't my first choice, but a free 5 speed car that get 30mpg I won't complain.

20+ years and people are still keeping them on the road, and are still modifying them. So yes they are classics :D
In that respect...yes

Fact is too many are in such bad shape. It's a utility vehicle after all.

In reference to cash for clunkers:

If anyone offloaded an Explorer for a Prius they should be beaten publicly.

:thumbsup: :salute:

How much they pay in states when you do clash for clunkers?

As long as there are folks going to this extent

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342894

They are classics. Cash for clunkers actually raised the value of the remaining trucks, IMO.

Just like the Early broncos which went to scrap, or otherwise stored as junk are now high value, I think some Explorers may survive to make that final cut also.

Thank god its finish.

Little OT but what are those ineligible cars? Jeep cherokee 4wd etc will give lower mileage that mileage estimate?

Very very sad, car holocaust.

Replacements ranking are ****. Toyota, Honda etc :mad:

In Finland was program that you get 500€ discount paper when you scrap your car, its same what it is but you get that discount only if you buy new car and cars are expensive here :D

I think eventually as more Explorers go to the salvage yards, they will be sought after. Maybe ten years from now, we will be kicking ourselves for not picking up that random Ex that we saw for sale

(TTB and transmission are not marks in the Explorer's favor, nor is the lack of aftermarket support).

:confused:

I'll give you the auto trans... however I certainly wouldn't say there's a lack of aftermarket support (sure it's not quite as strong as for the XJ or maybe the early 4Runner, but there's more for it than probably any other SUV in it's size class). The TTB axle is actually what makes it unique, and is just as durable as anything having a solid axle (after all, the TTB was built out of the same parts). There is actually more gearing options available for the axles in a Ex than for any pre-JK Chrysler-built Jeep.

I can see them turning into classics as they become more scarce, though probably without the same collectability as like the old 1st-gen Broncos have. It's unfortunate, but the explosive popularity of a vehicle can also end up being it's demise as well. Like you said, it tends to get them looked at simply as transportation vehicles, regardless of what their virtues may be.

As for CFC, I seem to recall it was mid-late '90s Explorers that were high up on the list. I'm sure a good number of 1st-gens got destroyed as well though. Pretty sad, really.

Truthfully if you get down to it the manual trans 1st gens ARE the unicorn/ classics. We all know the sport model were mostly stick (that I have seen), but I have the 4 door 5 speed version and these almost don't exist. I have seen a slew of them for sale in the Denver area via Craigslist, few to none local to wherever I've lived in the last 4 years since I came into the Explorer scene.

My current one is from NC until I brought it to OK. I have actually found my trucks replacement, a 91 4 door 5 speed 4x4, just down the road from me in the weeds. As sad as it is the kinds of winter we get is mostly ice and 4wd is needed, my 2wd doesn't cut it when you live on an incline.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's my next step, I've had automatics. I want a 1st gen with manual transmission

Back