• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Do you think 1st Gens will become classics?

damarble

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac 5.0L manual
I think the Sports, especially the manuals, might have a slight niche market that makes them a little more sought after. As a whole though the Explorer line will probably fade into obscurity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

MythX

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer EB
I don't see them going up in value unless a niche use for them is discovered that can't be filled elsewhere. Once reason for the low price is because there are so many to choose from. As they increase in rarity, they may go up a bit, but I'd be surprised it they go up in value enough to make them a worthwhile investment for investments sake.

On a side note, I paid $1500 for my '94 sport (probably over paid) in 2011. Tranny went out, but I oped to have the tranny rebuilt as opposed to replacing the truck just because I knew the rest of the truck was in good shape and once the tranny was rebuilt, it'd be good for several more years. Guys at work keep telling me to buy something newer, but after paying a mere $69 to renew the registration, I think I'll keep it a bit longer.

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Harviell, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB
but after paying a mere $69 to renew the registration, I think I'll keep it a bit longer.

Sounds kinda high unless that is for more than one year or property tax included. Mine is $22 a year.

MythX

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Explorer EB
Sounds kinda high unless that is for more than one year or property tax included. Mine is $22 a year.

Well, when everyone else around these parts are paying $300-$500 for registration because they want a car less than 3 years old, I feel good about mine.

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Harviell, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB
Ouch that's how Oklahoma used to be until about ten years ago. Ridiculous registration cost is only when you buy it now. Used vehicles get taxed more here over new.

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
I paid 85 dollars here in California

cgbier

Reaction score
City, State
Saipan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda Navajo
50 bucks/yr. regardless the of your car.

there's a precedence in our local court that says that you don't have to register your car at all, as long as it is insured. The lawyer to talk you out of trouble is more expensive though.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Fact is too many are in such bad shape. It's a utility vehicle after all.

The Southwestern US has old Explorers on the road that could pass as new. All depends on the climate, and how the vehicle was stored. A garaged Explorer from AZ is an amazing platform to start work on. No rust issues, everything comes apart easily... About all they need are some new bushings and maybe some ball joints and rod ends to make them handle like brand new...

High mileage, perfect body and chassis $1700.

Invest a few grand into making it as new... Install a modern HU with all the modern bells and whistles like Nav, Bluetooth, etc and you have a real truck based SUV that will last another 200k.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4309036180.html

00c0c_5dRgALGBnuh_600x450.jpg

I hear a lot about how folks hate all the new crap... But I see very few restoring the old stuff and making it like new for a whole lot less than what it costs to buy new, or newer...

Sure there are tons of people keeping them alive, but there aren't many people like Kris G Russell D that are doing full restos to make them as good, or better than new.

Ramblinwilly

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsburg, Central Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger XLT
They are classics in my mind. Open the hood and you can see and identify just about everything. Need help? Come here.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the guy that fixes it. I turned 60 on Saturday and my truck just turned 23. Truck runs great and I can still maintain everything.
Both are in great shape.....

mr cribb

US Army Retired
Reaction score
City, State
Harviell, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Chevy Z71, 93 X EB

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
Huhhuh that arizona explo!

I just cursed when i changed brake parts on my own. Chassis and under body at all is messed with rust and shit.

20 years in Finland where they but salt and again more salt on roads october to april....

You dont do anything with good tech if your body and chassis disappears....

cgbier

Reaction score
City, State
Saipan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda Navajo
Karpov, come to our island. We have salt in the air all year. My Navajo holds up pretty well, but has a very solid base for its age. I've seen worse in German "quality" cars that where way younger.

Karpov

Reaction score
City, State
Finland so my english is bad :D
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 4x4 '93
Karpov, come to our island. We have salt in the air all year. My Navajo holds up pretty well, but has a very solid base for its age. I've seen worse in German "quality" cars that where way younger.

Heh. Its long trip to here :D

If salt is on the air, will it hurt bottom of car ? :eek:

Thats true that american cars wont rust bad even hard conditions when you compare those on european/japanese cars.

German "star hood" cars are pretty rotten here too.

Explorers chassis is very good for snow and shit storage.

Luckily body on frame style is stronger and better to weld and repair than unibody.

bobthekatt7

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I'd love to see these become official classics. Sure, X's give us problems, but what classic doesn't? I'd love to go to a classic car show with my 67 Mustang sitting next to my 94 XLT.
Who knows, the SUV class could be coming. It's up to the X's to take that category by storm!

Terry_Jim

Reaction score
City, State
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I like the utility, and the junkyard parts avaliability. I've been able to keep mine alive, even resurrect it from hydrolock, and use tree & chain hillbilly body work to pull both sides of the front bumper back out. It needs ball joints soon, but the body was so beat by my son that it's hard to put money into. I've been looking for another one to pass down parts from mine.
The Arizona option looks good, my '93 is getting eaten alive by rust.
The prices on Craigslist, run about the same here in Omaha area as there for rust free Explorers. might be worth $400 -600 to ship one here.

L.A.X

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer EB
I love my Ex. I'm sooo sick of car payments even though the Ford Raptor is calling my name. I live in California, so the weather treats our cars well. By the way, I take my Mustang to the biggest Ford show in the US, the Fabulous Ford show at Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park. It happens every April. Would you guys be interested in reserving spaces for our Explorers?