Aluminum heads and Torque Monsters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aluminum heads and Torque Monsters

saleen53

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Saleen Explorer AWD
Is there anyone out there with Torque Monster Headers and Aluminum heads. If so, do know what heads will fit without any modification as well as makes the most power in a 5.0 Explorer? Also do you need taller valve covers to use 1.6 roller rockers because of the bigger body of the rocker itself? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one has info on TMH's and aluminum heads? That's strange. Is there a more appropriate section I should post this in?

Any head that will work on your explorer with a stock manifold will work with TMHs. Making the most power depends on the strategy you use to make that power and how far you want to go into the engine and its parts.

Thanks for the reply. I tried to do a search on the subject but it amounted to people arguing and finally insulting each other. I have Torque Monsters, Mac CAI, Borla exhaust and custom tunes from Henson Performance. I am looking for the aluminum head with the highest average cfm flow since everything on these trucks is down low. With the heads (TFS 170, AFR 165, etc...) I plan on adding TFS 1" intake spacer and 1.6 roller rockers. The goal is 300hp or more on the motor. Just looking for a nice cruiser that has a enough juice to make driving an SUV more fun.

Stock heads are quite good for vehicles without MAJOR internal changes, mustang guys use explorer heads all the time. A good cam grind, a tune and headers should actually be getting you close to 300 at the flywheel already. The biggest issue hurting power on explorers are the cams they came with. A "better" cam should be where you should be looking

Go to a mustang board and check out mild 302 builds on there if you want any other 302 building information. While this is a great board, the mustang guys spend a lot more time on their 302s than we do in the few years it is available, especially considering the low percentage of vehicles equipped with them.

Any head that will work on your explorer with a stock manifold will work with TMHs.

Incorrect. Turdle (Jon) had Edelbrock heads and his TMH's were set up for factor P heads would not bolt up to the heads. He had to send the headers back to Bob to have him remove the P head flanges and weld on flanges for the Edelbrock heads.

Thanks for all of your responses. If a cam is the next best step, then how do you go about choosing the best cam for increased power without sacrificing torque? This is not my area of expertise so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again, I already have TMH's, Mac CAI, Borla exhaust and Henson Tunes. My goal is 300hp on the motor not at the wheels.

Thanks for all of your responses. If a cam is the next best step, then how do you go about choosing the best cam for increased power without sacrificing torque? This is not my area of expertise so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again, I already have TMH's, Mac CAI, Borla exhaust and Henson Tunes. My goal is 300hp on the motor not at the wheels.

cam selection is extremely complicated. i've spend many hours studying it and only learned how much i don't know. static compression, timing, octane, valve size, exhaust type, intake size, head material, and other things all come into play for cam selection....

think about it this way...
longer duration and more lift lead to less charge velocity at low RPM when things are moving slowly. low charge velocity means poor torque. however those long duration and higher lifts allow the engine to breathe better at high rpm.. so more top end power. its a trade off.

another consideration is valve overlap, cams with high valve overlap allow a good scavenging exhaust system to literally suck fresh charge into the cylinders at high rpm.. however at low rpm they allow exhaust pressure to back up into the engine. this kills torque (and also leads to that bad-ass sounding rumpty-rump hotrod idle)

if you have a cam where the intake valve closes late (as they often do with longer duration) this will lower your dynamic compression ratio.. so you will need a higher static compression ratio to achieve good cylinder pressures...

all in all, more aggressive cams move the powerband upwards, so if you want low RPM torque get a mild cam.

Just remember, when you change cams, you are going to need to change valve springs.

Incorrect. Turdle (Jon) had Edelbrock heads and his TMH's were set up for factor P heads would not bolt up to the heads. He had to send the headers back to Bob to have him remove the P head flanges and weld on flanges for the Edelbrock heads.

But, if that is the case, those heads wouldn't have worked with his stock manifolds... and I originally said any heads that worked with his stock manifold.

edit: on second thought, does anyone make an aftermarket head that uses the same flange as a gt40p head? To replace a GT40, there are tons, but...

Just remember, when you change cams, you are going to need to change valve springs.

But, if that is the case, those heads wouldn't have worked with his stock manifolds... and I originally said any heads that worked with his stock manifold.

edit: on second thought, does anyone make an aftermarket head that uses the same flange as a gt40p head? To replace a GT40, there are tons, but...

I thought the only difference with the GT40P head was the spark plug angle. On the mustang boards they have been using standard SBF headers with the P heads, but looking for headers that had enough plug clearance.

I suspect the only mods that had to be done by Bob were not the actual gasket surface, but for the plug angle.

I thought the only difference with the GT40P head was the spark plug angle. On the mustang boards they have been using standard SBF headers with the P heads, but looking for headers that had enough plug clearance.

I suspect the only mods that had to be done by Bob were not the actual gasket surface, but for the plug angle.

Pulled this off a web site:

Standard unequal length shorty headers won't work because of the GT40P spark plug location. MAC offers a coated GT40P-specific shorty and Ford Racing offers a set of stainless shorties that work. Stock Mustang headers work also. Most equal length shorties will not work. BBK equal length shorty headers have been known to fit. MAC, Hedman and BBK full length 1 5/8" headers fit. Some full length headers require minor clearancing on some primary tubes but is not a big issue. Spark plug wires with 90 degree boots are recommended with all headers.

Back