Am I making a mistake in this trade or not | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I making a mistake in this trade or not

Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
first let me start off by saying my daughter Haylee (7) told me what she wants me to have in my cars, so with that being said here are my criteria for looking used:

1. Automatic
2. Sunroof
3. 4 door
4. Cold A/C
5. v6 or greator

so with that in mind I currently own this:

1998 Volvo S70. 4 doors cold ac, automatic, v5! 162K
now for my delema
A guy wants to trade me his 1997 Ford Explorer Sport with 180K here is what the ford has and I like its build and reliability

1. sunroof
2. automatic
3. Cold A/C
4. v6 or greator

he wants to do an title to title trade tomorrow. Shall I go ahead and get into the ford world? My car tends to get more in kbb and nada but that doesnt matter since my daughter wants what she wants me to have.
there you go:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first let me start off by saying my daughter Haylee (7) told me what she wants me to have in my cars, so with that being said here are my criteria for looking used:

1. Automatic
2. Sunroof
3. 4 door
4. Cold A/C
5. v6 or greator

so with that in mind I currently own this:

1998 Volvo S70. 4 doors cold ac, automatic, v5! 162K
now for my delema
A guy wants to trade me his 1997 Ford Explorer Sport with 180K here is what the ford has and I like its build and reliability

1. sunroof
2. automatic
3. Cold A/C
4. v6 or greator

he wants to do an title to title trade tomorrow. Shall I go ahead and get into the ford world? My car tends to get more in kbb and nada but that doesnt matter since my daughter wants what she wants me to have.
there you go:
No offense but maybe you shouldn't base financial decisions off a 7 year old's demands. Based on that alone i'd say yes you are making a bad decision.

You said you want 4 doors, a sport only has 2 doors. Also does the explorer has the SOHC or the OHV v6? The OHV tends to be more reliable as it doesn't have timing chain issues. I personally don't have any issues with my 97 sport w/ SOHC but i only have 87k.

Also how was the explorer maintained? I take it you know atleast some of the maintenance history of your volvo. I would just be leery of the trade if you already have a reliable ride.

I agree, actually. I wouldn't make that trade I don't think... Those late 90 S70's are very solid cars. (With incredibly comfy seats!!)

Plan on sinking $1,000 into the Explorer almost immediately on suspension components as I doubt he did anything with them, and probably needs attention, and that's why he wants out from under it. Keep your Volvo... :)

That Volvo is built like a rock, hold onto it.

Not a good trade for you, maybe for the Explorer owner, but not for you.

Not a good trade for you.

I got to agree.
If your currently vehicle already has everything you want in a vehicle, why are you looking to trade?
how is your current ride performing?

Me personally, I wouldn't do a straight trade, trading a good known-working vehicle with a who-knows-what-happend-to-it vehicle.

Why trade reliability (assuming your Volvo has been and still is reliable) with an unknown?

edit: wait.. ok so your Volvo has a V5(? you mean I5?? V5 would be off balanced), and no sun-roof but you want a sun-roof and a V6 or larger. But then you also want 4 doors, which your Volvo has, but the Explorer Sport does not.

Have to AGREE with what everyone else has said.

NOT a good trade for you.

I just drove it last night it rides pretty good but come to find out the owner lied and said it had 181K when in actuallity I looked and it was 191K so now I feel kinda obligated since he went and registered it and got it inspected and is going to fix some things that I found wrong. How do I tell him no, whats the best way to break it off now? He doesnt know where I live just my number. What I found wrong

1. Muffler plate needs some welding done to make it quiet
2. driver door is ghetto'd you have to pull a string and click the unlock button just right with no door handle on the inside. I really hate this
3. AC fan sounds like leaves are blowing around behind the glovebox, the AC fan about to go out?
4. 2 bulbs in the console battery and oil are out. At night you can't see them.

Things I liked about it:

1. V6 SOHC was peppy and fast I liked the power it had
2. It has a good working sunroof :) LOL
3. Tires seem good with even wear on the tread
4. outside of vehicle is almost spotless except for a little scrape at the gas tank

so rationally thinking with 191K and all those things wrong you all are right I need to keep my volvo.

here are the things wrong with my volvo:

1. Drivers Visor is sagging
2. When I turn the steering wheel at low speeds it sounds like it is grinding or squeeling
3. The entire dash was removed for some reason and hot glued back in, it makes horrible squeeks and noise when driving
4. The ABS light comes on for about 10 miles then goes off then back on, seems like the abs module is about to fail.

Thats about it. It does seem to be a little better shape then the ford. So Now I need to tell him NO. But I don't know how to approach that. DO I just not call him back and ignore his calls?

Thanks,
Stinger

I just drove it last night it rides pretty good but come to find out the owner lied and said it had 181K when in actuallity I looked and it was 191K so now I feel kinda obligated since he went and registered it and got it inspected and is going to fix some things that I found wrong. How do I tell him no, whats the best way to break it off now? He doesnt know where I live just my number.

have you signed anything saying you are going to buy it?

I just drove it last night it rides pretty good but come to find out the owner lied and said it had 181K when in actuallity I looked and it was 191K so now I feel kinda obligated since he went and registered it and got it inspected and is going to fix some things that I found wrong. How do I tell him no, whats the best way to break it off now? He doesnt know where I live just my number.

He fixed those things for himself, so he could sell the car. You have no obligation at all.

How to say no? Call him on the phone, and say this " I have decided to keep my car. Good luck with your sale" and hang up.

No I didn't sign anything with him. We are waiting for my title to arrive in the mail should be here today. He wouldnt accept a print out showing the title being mailed on the 4th with a stamp from the title and reg office. His loss! So I guess I could just say to him the title didn't come in, and it never will as far as he knows. He should have done the deal with the paperwork I had but he waanted to be all offical and do the right thing. HA

I would just tell him that after tossing the idea back and forth that you really need 4 doors and that the Sport really isn't going to be the right choice for you right now so you've decided to keep the Volvo. It's not like you're lying...

I would just tell him that after tossing the idea back and forth that you really need 4 doors and that the Sport really isn't going to be the right choice for you right now so you've decided to keep the Volvo. It's not like you're lying...

Or I can say I really didnt realize your explorer has 192K you told me it had 180K, that is also a good out. My opinion if he is going to lie about that what else is he lying about?

I certainly wouldn't do anything based on the demands of a 7yr old.
I'm not a parent, but I feel that parents should be telling their kids what to do till they're old enough to move out, not the other way around...

Si

I certainly wouldn't do anything based on the demands of a 7yr old.
I'm not a parent, but I feel that parents should be telling their kids what to do till they're old enough to move out, not the other way around...

Si

She is the light of my life, and I am currently divorced and she is living in another state so when we get together for a short time I would like her to enjoy riding in my car, she always talks about my daddys car at school. I am not basing it souly on her but I want to make her proud and happy to ride with daddy and she can brag to her friends at school. A parent would understand where I am coming from. Especially not seeing her but only once a month for 3 days.

I understand that you miss her, and that she is the light of your life. But what sort of message are you sending to a 7yr old by giving her everything she wants?

I appreciate that you want to make her proud and you want her to talk about you when you're apart, but I don't think that's the right way to go about it.

I'm sorry if you think I'm a dink and if my words upset you, but I think you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Si

She is the light of my life, and I am currently divorced and she is living in another state so when we get together for a short time I would like her to enjoy riding in my car, she always talks about my daddys car at school. I am not basing it souly on her but I want to make her proud and happy to ride with daddy and she can brag to her friends at school. A parent would understand where I am coming from. Especially not seeing her but only once a month for 3 days.

And if she says pink, dad would drive a pink car. I understand. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand that you miss her, and that she is the light of your life. But what sort of message are you sending to a 7yr old by giving her everything she wants?

I appreciate that you want to make her proud and you want her to talk about you when you're apart, but I don't think that's the right way to go about it.

I'm sorry if you think I'm a dink and if my words upset you, but I think you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Si

As a divorced parent who had to fight to see his children, I recommend you try the shoes on before you write instructions on how to tie em --;)

Back