Ambient Lighting for 2016 XLT Aftermarket or OEM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient Lighting for 2016 XLT Aftermarket or OEM

idesi1

Reaction score
City, State
Houston TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I want to install Ambient lighting on my 2016 XLT and I have looked into OEM Factory and aftermarket kits but my issue is how and where do one connect the cables for the lights i.e. on my 2017 Platinum it used to turn on with the lights automatically hence my question is what cable or fuse etc I need to connect the cables so the ambient light turns on with the headlamps.
Also any suggestions on Aftermarket kits?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The kits used to be available from the Ford Accessories store but they don't seem to be available any longer. Also they did not have all the lighting functions that the OEM one had.

Peter

Thanks for update. the thread is old and the pics are not available anymore

I have a 2010 f150 as well as my new to me 2016 xlt explorer. F150leds has an amazing site with videos and step by step installation of the ambient aftermarket lights. I saw the 4 strips of leds that go under the driver and passenger seats and plug into a cigarette lighter.
on the f150leds site it shows how to wire into the center console. 2009 - 2014 AMBIENT LED LIGHTING KIT
Would the explorer be the same? I’m not the handiest lady with wiring.

I have a 2010 f150 as well as my new to me 2016 xlt explorer. F150leds has an amazing site with videos and step by step installation of the ambient aftermarket lights. I saw the 4 strips of leds that go under the driver and passenger seats and plug into a cigarette lighter.
on the f150leds site it shows how to wire into the center console. 2009 - 2014 AMBIENT LED LIGHTING KIT
Would the explorer be the same? I’m not the handiest lady with wiring.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It would be difficult to say if the wiring would be the same without seeing the wiring schematics. The one linked in your second post would seem easy enough to install except that it would have to be plugged into one of the power points.
Curious if your forum name has anything to do with the 1972 Canada - Russia Summit Series?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It would be difficult to say if the wiring would be the same without seeing the wiring schematics. The one linked in your second post would seem easy enough to install except that it would have to be plugged into one of the power points.
Curious if your forum name has anything to do with the 1972 Canada - Russia Summit Series?

Peter
No. My last name is Hockenberry and 72 was my birth year. But I have been asked that before

Back