Ambient Lighting Problems | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient Lighting Problems

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where do I see the latest update and if not how do I update to the latest?
FYI, if you are on 3.6.2, you are 2 updates behind. If you go into the software option on the MFT screen and it shows CCPU S/W Version for 3.6.2 is 4.30.13171_PRODUCT, that means you have 3.6.2 installed.

Peter

Just adding a recent issue (or could have been an issue since day one and I didn't pay enough attention to it).
The ambient light in the passenger footwell, or lack of; is currently not present.
Haven't attempted to do anything yet to see if its a loose wire, but it's an issue regardless.

Edit (update):

Issue#1 passenger footwell ambient light not working

Issue#2 fan bearings is very loud when turning off the vehicle, as you can hear in whine down until the fan stops.

Just adding a recent issue (or could have been an issue since day one and I didn't pay enough attention to it).
The ambient light in the passenger footwell, or lack of; is currently not present.
Haven't attempted to do anything yet to see if its a loose wire, but it's an issue regardless.

Edit (update):

Issue#1 passenger footwell ambient light not working

Issue#2 fan bearings is very loud when turning off the vehicle, as you can hear in whine down until the fan stops.

613GT500 - Issue#1 could just be some insulation or something blocking the LED.

Issue#2 - I actually have this issue. I am just waiting for my 1st oil change to have them look at it. There was a similar issue when this generation came out but I cannot see anything extending the TSB to the 2016MY.

613GT500 - Issue#1 could just be some insulation or something blocking the LED.

Issue#2 - I actually have this issue. I am just waiting for my 1st oil change to have them look at it. There was a similar issue when this generation came out but I cannot see anything extending the TSB to the 2016MY.

Haven't had a chance to look under the passenger footwell and I hope it's something as simple as the floor mat or the weather techs being pushed up and covering the LEDs.

For the fan bearing noise, it will definitely be covered for us under warranty (I'm presently at 1365miles) and hopefully it won't lead to other serious issues.

Ambient Lighting

I just bought a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. The Ambient lighting works but I do not see it down on the foot wells? Does anyone know why this might be? Do some 2013 Limited's not have the foot well lighting?

I just bought a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited. The Ambient lighting works but I do not see it down on the foot wells? Does anyone know why this might be? Do some 2013 Limited's not have the foot well lighting?

Both driver and front passenger footwells should have ambient lighting.
My passenger side is not working also (2016 Sport) and I took a look and can see the LED, but it's either defective or there's a loose connection.

Occasionally on my 2016 the drivers door changes to RED as it is supposed to when the door opens but won't change back to the color set for the vehicle. If i open/re-close the door the RED changes back to match the rest of the vehicle. Not enough that I will take it in but odd/occasional behavior.

Occasionally on my 2016 the drivers door changes to RED as it is supposed to when the door opens but won't change back to the color set for the vehicle. If i open/re-close the door the RED changes back to match the rest of the vehicle. Not enough that I will take it in but odd/occasional behavior.
The default used to be the light blue. Are you saying it is now Red on the 2016 models?

Peter

No, so whatever color you have selected is "showing/glowing" in the front doors/cup holder/foot-wells, rear controls with all doors closed - if/when you open either front door the lighting (on just that door) turns red around the handle and storage bins (as to signal to oncoming cars <thou it's not overly bright> that the door is open) and once closed returns to which ever color you have selected. I would say in a month, i see the red not resetting a few times. Annoying but not a huge issue at this point.

No, so whatever color you have selected is "showing/glowing" in the front doors/cup holder/foot-wells, rear controls with all doors closed - if/when you open either front door the lighting (on just that door) turns red around the handle and storage bins (as to signal to oncoming cars <thou it's not overly bright> that the door is open) and once closed returns to which ever color you have selected. I would say in a month, i see the red not resetting a few times. Annoying but not a huge issue at this point.
That is something new. On previous year models the default light blue would come on whenever the door was opened and then it returned to whatever colour you had selected/saved when the door was closed again.

Peter

That is something new. On previous year models the default light blue would come on whenever the door was opened and then it returned to whatever colour you had selected/saved when the door was closed again.

Can confirm in my new 16 Explorer Platinum that the door handle and footwell turn red when opened. But for me they return back to the blue color I;ve set

Can confirm in my new 16 Explorer Platinum that the door handle and footwell turn red when opened. But for me they return back to the blue color I;ve set

+1 on my 2016 Platinum.

I can also confirm that this same process occurs with my son's 2014 Focus SEL.

Randy

i have a 2013 explorer limited. i go to change the ambient lighting and nothing happens the back lit cup holders stay the same color. and im not even sure theres lighting for the driver or passenger feet because i have yet to see it come on. Any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you just buy this Explorer or have you had it since new? Do you have ambient lighting in the front door handles and at the rear of the center console? Are you able to change the intensity level of the cupholder lighting? Is this the first time that you tried to change the colour?

Peter

No i got the car used. Nothing on the handles nor console that would tell me there should be leds. and the cup holder lighting seems to stay the same regardless of where i have the light level set too. I tired changing it the day i got it from the dealer with the same effect.

No i got the car used. Nothing on the handles nor console that would tell me there should be leds. and the cup holder lighting seems to stay the same regardless of where i have the light level set too. I tired changing it the day i got it from the dealer with the same effect.
Ambient Lighting was standard on the Limited. It should light up the front door handles, the lower parts of the front doors, the cupholders, the front footwells and the back of the center console. What is the colour that is currently showing? FTY, The Light Blue is the default colour and regardless of what colour is chosen, when the door is opened the default colour should come on.

Peter

I thought so, and only thing lighting up is the cupholders and its the default light blue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try a Master Reset to see if that might solve the issue. It sets everything back to factory settings so you may lose some saved memory settings. The Master Reset is done from the MFT screen. Not sure what else to suggest other than a dealer visit. Did they provide any kind of warranty?

Peter

Back