Ambient Lighting Problems

Precious11EXplor

Reaction score
City, State
Cenral Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hello,

I am the new owner of a 2011 Explorer Limited. I have ambient lighting, and I have figured out how to change the colors. I assumed that I cannot automatically cycle through the colors (as I have read the manual). The other night I got in and the ambient lighting changed on its own from green to orange. It was a short trip home and it did not change again, and I tried to wait.

Is it common for it to change on its own, or am i missing a way to have it cycle through the colors?

Thank you, in advance. This forum has been wonderfully informative. I know you can google anything and see the worst of the worst, but I am cautiously optimistic!

Sarah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I am the new owner of a 2011 Explorer Limited. I have ambient lighting, and I have figured out how to change the colors. I assumed that I cannot automatically cycle through the colors (as I have read the manual). The other night I got in and the ambient lighting changed on its own from green to orange. It was a short trip home and it did not change again, and I tried to wait.

Is it common for it to change on its own, or am i missing a way to have it cycle through the colors?

Thank you, in advance. This forum has been wonderfully informative. I know you can google anything and see the worst of the worst, but I am cautiously optimistic!

Sarah

If the ambient lighting is from the factory then you change it via the main touch screen. From the home screen tap the gear on the bottom (settings), then vehicle on the left, then the top option should be ambient lighting.

If the ambient lighting was installed by the dealer after the car arrived, then there will be a separate switch somewhere to turn it on and to change the colors.

If the ambient lighting is from the factory then you change it via the main touch screen. From the home screen tap the gear on the bottom (settings), then vehicle on the left, then the top option should be ambient lighting.

If the ambient lighting was installed by the dealer after the car arrived, then there will be a separate switch somewhere to turn it on and to change the colors.
It was installed at the factory, and I have already figured out how to change the colors. What I am asking is if there is a way to have the colors automatically cycle through all of them, without me manually changing them?

Thanks!

It was installed at the factory, and I have already figured out how to change the colors. What I am asking is if there is a way to have the colors automatically cycle through all of them, without me manually changing them?

Thanks!

You mean cycle through colors while you're driving like christmas lights do? That's not currently possible. I believe it would be considered a distraction to the driver.

Hello,

Sarah

Hi, Sarah!

There is no way to have it cycle through the colors. Is it still stuck on orange, or has it gone back to green? If it's still orange, look in the settings to see if green is still selected:

MENU > VEHICLE > AMBIENT LIGHTING

Let me know when you get a chance!

Rebecca

Ambient lighting

For all that have this I noticed on driver side foot area it is led lighted on both sides L/R
On passenger side only led lighted on right foot area should this be the same as driver side R/L
Is this the same for all that have this . I know this is a nighttime question !

haven't noticed any difference in the wife's sport, but will look closer tonight...

Loosing settings - Anyone else??

I've got a 2011 Limited. The MFT seems to keep loosing it's settings. Specifically navigation favorites and the ambient lighting. I've taken it to the dealership multiple times and they can't get it fixed. Does anyone else have this problem? How long do your favorites stay? We were on a trip in Denver and I saved the hotel as a favorite. We were there for 5 days and I had to put it back in 3 times while I was there.

Thanks,
Brian

I've got a 2011 Limited. The MFT seems to keep loosing it's settings. Specifically navigation favorites and the ambient lighting. I've taken it to the dealership multiple times and they can't get it fixed. Does anyone else have this problem? How long do your favorites stay? We were on a trip in Denver and I saved the hotel as a favorite. We were there for 5 days and I had to put it back in 3 times while I was there.

Thanks,
Brian

I would have your battery checked to make sure you don't have problems there. I've never heard of settings being lost.

I've got a 2011 Limited. The MFT seems to keep loosing it's settings. Specifically navigation favorites and the ambient lighting. I've taken it to the dealership multiple times and they can't get it fixed.

Hey everyone!

My name is Kim. I’m stepping in to help Rebecca out. :)

You shouldn't be losing your settings like that, Brian! I’ll escalate this to your regional customer service manager. They will connect with your dealership and work to get answers. PM your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information so I can get started.

Kim

Thanks,
Brian
Do you have any other issues with MFT? It could be that the APIM is beginning to fail.

Peter

My lights have been resetting too and it does it in between short stops. I thought maybe long durations of being off were an issue but if i run into the store and back out... every so often it will reset the lights.

No issues with my phone with the new update.

I am having the same issue. I set it to blue, and now everytime I start it , it goes back to the old color. Why?

I am having the same issue. I set it to blue, and now everytime I start it , it goes back to the old color. Why?
I believe there are 2 blues. A dark and a light. Which did you set and have you verified that set colour by going into the ambient light display? If it does show the selected colour when you are up and running and the actual light displayed is different then you may have a problem.

Peter

The car always reverts to the default light blue when entering and preparing to start, & when turning off the engine and various other moments, none of which I can think of...

Regardless of what color you choose, the car will be set to light blue during entry/exit. Then when you turn on the engine, it changes to your preset color. Is this what you are experiencing?

once I set it, it should remain on that color at night when driving, however, it does not. It always reverts back to factory setting color. Not sure why.

once I set it, it should remain on that color at night when driving, however, it does not. It always reverts back to factory setting color. Not sure why.
Maybe the Explorer likes that colour better than your choice.;)
It sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.
Good luck.

Peter

Mine is doing this to in my 2014 Sport. I will set my factory Ambient Lighting to DARK Blue.......then out of the blue days latter, it will revert to Light Blue.

I have had the latest software upgrade performed at the dealer.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 MyFordTouch Ambient Lighting Glitches

Anyone else seeing Ambient lighting glitches with MFT..

I have been seeing it have a mind of its own on many days, I am trying to determine the best way to reproduce the issue.

I have seen it reset colors and brightness.

This is not a deal breaker for me as I could just turn it off but there are several issues as i see them with internal light dimming based on lack of control to separate the MFT / NAV display from the dash cluster lighting intensity.

Separate controls would be a huge plus, but when setting ambient lighting it would be nice for it not to randomly reset to blue as it seems to do..

Back