And God said, let Edge have his Explorer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

And God said, let Edge have his Explorer...

edge929

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
We have enough "just got mine threads" however, after suffering 5.5 months from order to delivery, I believe I'm justified here. This thread will die quickly anyway ;)

So before the snow-storm to end all snow-storms hit, my original build date was 2/3 and delivery of 2/7. After the snow storm, those dates changed to 2/9 and unknown respectively however I figured it was safe to assume "sometime this week" for delivery. Came home after dinner with the wife and it was still light out (for once) and I thought to myself, I'll swing by the dealership, it's just 2 miles away, get my paperwork done so all I have to do is bring in the cashier's check when it comes in, hopefully this week. I stopped in, found my salesman and he's like "hey, I was just about to call you, we got some in today and I know one is a white XLT, pretty sure it's yours". Now, keep in mind I've been waiting, obsessed with this thing for 5.5 months. How do you think I felt at that moment? Somewhere between head-butting my salesman and running around saying "WHERE?! WHERE?!?" These emotions faded quickly after another salesman said "I'll pull it around for you to take it out". So while they got the paperwork ready, I took her for spin.

My impressions: I don't have much experience driving big 'ol SUVs but the size of it (mostly interior) was even bigger than I originally thought. Sure, I've seen 2 close-up but never sat in them (both were sold). I'm ok with this, I like the space. For reference I'm 5'10" 175lbs. It felt like a heavy truck when driving in a straight line but as soon as I turned, I was like "WTF!?! this thing turns on a dime (for it's size)". I expected it to dive into the corner a little and bounce over bumps, boy was I wrong. The ride was smooth, not sporty but not hoopy either. It sits up higher than my Ranger by a noticeable amount. It really felt like I was driving my father in-law's 2004 Tahoe. It is difficult to see over the hood. The clamshell, muscular design of it slightly impedes vision. Not a big deal, I'll get use to it. The back-up camera helps a great deal when backing up (the third row seats/headrests were up). The first time I shifted into what I thought was drive, I went to far back and put it in manual. Once the revs hit 3k without shifting I got the hint and put it in drive. The drivers seat was very comfortable for my ~10 min drive. It was dark so I didn't want to mess around with the MyFord Touch or radio controls yet.

I'll post pictures (pending day-light after work) and more impressions once I get some time with it tomorrow. It's yet another white platinum XLT, so nothing new. My wife thinks I'm joking about sleeping in it tomorrow night. Go to work on Wednesday with a new-car (smell) high..... literally.

Edit -Looks like I won't have to burn down any dealerships today:

So the forum won't display my image so here's a link directly to it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice. It's a cool vehicle. Definitely not like the old Explorers.

Hey Grats on finally getting yours man. I dropped by my dealer as well and they finally got the two they ordered. One was built 24 nov and the other the 7 dec. I cannot believe how long they took to arrive!

You're lying, Edge. Everyone knows that Ford will mess with you until 2012 before letting you have your new Ex. You must have been driving a hologram... :D

Congrats, man- you definitely deserve to get your new Ex. :thumbsup:

congrats edge! I had the same build date & I live 5 hours west of you so there is hope yet.;)

Yipee! Enjoy!

Mine is at the ramp. Please, please Mr. Allied-Systems-man. Truck that baby out today.....

Congrats! Enjoy the ride to work this morning!

...he probably got there an hour ago, and is still sitting inside the vehicle, feeling up the interior. :D

Edge, Congratulations. God is great but the salesman definitely lacks in customer service. By the way now that God gave you yours can you see if he can work on mine !!! ;^}

Edge, Congratulations. God is great but the salesman definitely lacks in customer service. By the way now that God gave you yours can you see if he can work on mine !!! ;^}

Hold your horses, only 1 miracle every 5.5 months!

Ha, thanks guys. I will actually pick it up after work today so the normal afternoon slowness will be amplified 100 times. 4 more hours to go....

You're letting it sit there? ...you know, possession is 90% of ownership...

If someone walks in with $50k cash, I wonder what the dealership would do?

Just sayin' :D

There ya go...

lol!

1 hour, 17 minutes, 42 seconds plus drivetime to the dealer to go...must..hold...on...need ...job...for...car...note!

tick...tock...tick...tock...

:D

If someone walks in with $50k cash, I wonder what the dealership would do?

If that were to literally happen you can bet your @ss I would pull the RPG off my wall and blow up the damn dealership. You guys would be watching the 10 'o clock news and see a breaking news story about it and say to your spouse "holy crap honey, I KNOW that guy!! I always thought he'd be taller".

In the words of Milton, "I'll set the building on fire......"

milton_nervous.jpg

Nah, papers are signed, they just need the greenbacks.

Papers can be reprinted too... Especially if they have $45k cash to buy some toner for the printer...

Better get going... :D

I can hear it now- "Gosh sir, I thought it was here- it must have been someone else's..." ;)

uniquename is going to be there in under 3 hours... lol!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pix or it ain't true :)

Congrats!!

Back